HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghoti

Tip for the L riders.

28 posts in this topic

The rear caliper on my 04 L is the same as the one on my sons 03 CR85RB, so anyone wanting a guard to protect the rear caliper order up one for a CR85RB. I don't know how many years for each works. It is a direct bolt on. I got one from Ron Ayers for $24.42 to my door including the two bolts to hold it on. :thumbsup:

Hey good to know due to the lack of aftermarket parts for the L model (compared to others)Should be a good idea to start a post on parts interchangeability between a 650L and others bikes.

Hey good to know due to the lack of aftermarket parts for the L model (compared to others)Should be a good idea to start a post on parts interchangeability between a 650L and others bikes.

I was comparing my '93 250R with my '06 L, and it looks like many parts may interchange. I spied the caliper, and it guard...they sure look the same, but haven tried mounting anything yet.

There's a bunch of stuff from the XR 600, that work on the 650L. Fenders, aftermarket fuel tanks, exhaust cans ( I have a Yosh on mine, originally for XR 600) bash plates,(although I'm still using the stock aluminum engine guard from a 600) aluminum frame guards (if you drill holes for the passenger peg mount holes to come through) sprockets, headlights....I learned a lot from having a 600 years ago, and the '02 650L that I've messed with for the last three summers.

There's a bunch of stuff from the XR 600, that work on the 650L. Fenders, aftermarket fuel tanks, exhaust cans ( I have a Yosh on mine, originally for XR 600) bash plates,(although I'm still using the stock aluminum engine guard from a 600) aluminum frame guards (if you drill holes for the passenger peg mount holes to come through) sprockets, headlights....I learned a lot from having a 600 years ago, and the '02 650L that I've messed with for the last three summers.

externally that is true but internally less so. eg 650l side case bolt right on

just been through the process of attmpting the e start conversion to the 600R.

facts are it cant be don to the 600 using 650L parts.

power generation is all wrong for the battery ect

guess I'm stuck with kicking!!

How does a 600R compare to a 650L?

My experience with the XR650L transmission.

I destroyed second gear and tried to replace it with a 2nd gear from an XR600R. The gears were not interchangeable. The gears had the same teeth but the sides were different. The gears would not plug into the next gear over. I ended up geting L gears.

Basically, if you want to replace your XR650L gears with XR600's, You have to do the entire set. Mainshaft, Coutershaft and every on of the gears.

Stators are entirely different. The crank is different. Putting an XR650L starter on an XR650L can only be done with $$$$. You'll need an XR650L crank, but an XR600R connecting rod. You are better off buying a completed XR650L engine from Honda. It may be cheaper. I'd never do this.

Exhaust headers are interchangeable. I sold my XR650L/R stainless steel header (HERE ) to TT member Radvocaat.

Cams are compatible. The XR600R kick starter can be installed on an L with $$. I've only seen one 650L with a kick starter. The owner also installed a manual compression release.

My experience with the XR650L transmission.

I destroyed second gear and tried to replace it with a 2nd gear from an XR600R. The gears were not interchangeable. The gears had the same teeth but the sides were different. The gears would not plug into the next gear over. I ended up geting L gears.

Basically, if you want to replace your XR650L gears with XR600's, You have to do the entire set. Mainshaft, Coutershaft and every on of the gears.

Stators are entirely different. The crank is different. Putting an XR650L starter on an XR650L can only be done with $$$$. You'll need an XR650L crank, but an XR600R connecting rod. You are better off buying a completed XR650L engine from Honda. It may be cheaper. I'd never do this.

Exhaust headers are interchangeable. I sold my XR650L/R stainless steel header (HERE ) to TT member Radvocaat.

Cams are compatible. The XR600R kick starter can be installed on an L with $$. I've only seen one 650L with a kick starter. The owner also installed a manual compression release.

Hey LOB

I've changed my mind on the E start on my 600R.

I was jus tgetting down in the dumps in trying to overcome all the problems in doing it.

Can you advise ma bout the crank issue - ie using the XR650L crank with the XR600 conrod?

I didnt think that would work?

How did you understand the XR650L crank to work with the XR600 conrod?

I just went through this whole deccion scenario - basically am I right to say using the XR650L crank with XR600 conrod/piston (628 in my case) would push the piston out the head cos it's 1mm longer on the up stroke yeah?

If you can help me I would be much appreciative cos I really want to add estart.

My other question relates to the starter clutch - how did the conversion you know of handle that? I bough an entire 650l starter clutch and fail to see how I can bolt it to the 600R flwyheel?

So far I have done the following:

1. Done all the electricals - new stator (200watt) and new wiring loom. (not installed yet tho)

2. Bought all the 650l external parts - lhs engine cases/starter motor/leads etc

You are spot on about the stators - the 650l is a 3 phase system and in fact the entire CDI system is totally diff to the 600R (even tho they plug in)

Aparently the 650l has a rev limiter and futhermore it's CDI is designed to work with the 650l stator (something about the DC power sytem)

I toyed with the idea of installing the entire 650l electrical system on my 628 but learned that is a backward move - it's a common mod for 650l riderrs to install the 600R CDI as it has no limiter.

If you could help me with the electric starter issues I would be very greatful.

I have an Acerbis fork/brake guard on my 650L. I bought it a few years ago, so I don't remember if it was originally for the XR600R, or not.

I'm fairly sure if you check on their website, they list very little for the 650L,

but that's where I got it from.

Good luck

rmhrc630,

I can't give you any advice that you haven't already stumbled across. I'm not sure of putting an XR600R connecting rod onto an L crank would do anything. The crank and the rod may be different. I don't know for sure. The connecting rods have a different length, and the cranks have a different radius (how high up and far down the piston travels.) Installing an electric starter on my old XR600R was a fantasy of thought that lasted only about 20 minutes. I already had an XR650L anyway.

Both the XR600R and 650L have a rev limiter, and both at about the same RPM. All Japanese production motorcycles have a rev limiter built into the ignition CDI. Install an XR400R ignition (9,500 rpm limited) on your XR628, and you will experience much higher revs, followed by true damaging valve float. INstall an XR600R ingition on an XR400, and it'll seem like it has a jetting probelm in the upper RPM's. :thumbsup:

You could try a full wave voltage rectifier from "Radio snack."

Look at the post from Newfoundlander from 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM

on this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=261445

It is possible to get DC out of your 628R without screwing with your stator. He has far more knowledge in this area that I. You may want to IM him.

I have two 1998 ATK 605's. Their startors are very much the same as an XR600R. They have a voltage regulator/rectifier, but don't need them to generate spark, only to recharge the battery.

Thanks LOB

My electricals are all fine now. I've got a dual output system. DC and AC. 200 watts rigged into a 650L reg/rectfier. Great system.

The issues now are the:

1. starter clutch mount. to those who are familiar with the 600r flywheel can you advise where and how you might bolt the starter clutch on?

It appears the 400r and 650R have a stock flywheel that accomodates a starter clutch much easier. (by evidence of the outer diameter of the flywheel.

2. making an adapter to hold the starter clutch and 600R flywheel. I'm going to have to find needle bearings to accomodate the increased diameter of the adpater and the crankshaft.

Is it at all advisable to run no bearing on the starter gear or is that just a ridiculous idea born from frustration?

rmhrc630,

Why don't you just get the 650L flywheel? Are they of different diameters?

You can get any dimension needle bearing made. There are catalogs you can get, but not from a motorcycle shop. Buy either Americn bearings or Japanese bearings. Don't buy Mylasian bearings. I don't have a source catalog, but I've seen them before.

You could also have a machine shop modify your XR600R flywheel to maybe accomodate the sprag clutch. You are talking a lot of money though.

It would actually be cheaper to buy a used 650L motor and just bolt it right up into your XR600R's frame.

Are you talking about the caliper or rear disc guard ? I have a disc guard, so I would like a pic if you could post one, thanks !!!

my disc guard off Ebay

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=4377

If you were refering to the original post, it's the caliper guard. I'm afraid I am the last person in America without a digital camera. :bonk: I don't have a cell phone either. :thumbsup: I guess that's why I ride a L. :thumbsup:

I have a CALIPER guard *L* off of an XR600R on the rear of my '06 "L", & it fits just fine. :thumbsup:

I wish someone made a CALIPER guard that would fit on the front though.

C-A-L-I-P-E-R, not D-I-S-C. :thumbsup:

It would make a great spot to put my parking permit for work. The DISC guards are useless to me as NY puts the dumb inspection sticker on the lower left fork.