Results of rejetting with Supertrapp IDS2

Put in the 58 / 165 jets, performed standard mods (slide drilled, K&N, snorkel removed, needle shimmed .030"), and put on the Supertrapp IDS2 Quiet series on my '05 XR650L. I have 9 disks in; the tuning manual says that 10-12 is the practical maximum, I think.

Bike has noticeably more power. Starts right up at 30 degrees F. Pulls strong through the gears. Top-ends at about 85-90 or so. Pulls a very easy wheelie in first and will just begin to lift up the front with no clutch in second. Smooth throttle response; pipe is not too noisy. Overall, I'd say that I'm very pleased. Haven't checked the plug, but I will soon. Interestingly, "Burned" over in the jetting forum said that with modern fuels, you can't reliably tell a rich/lean condition from the plug color any more. But, based on my gut feeling, the bike is running pretty sweet right now.

One guy a while back said that with this setup it should go past 100 and get it right up EASILY in second with no clutch, but I'm a little suspicious of his claim. Opinions?

I have an IDS2 with I think 7 or 8 discs (I forget) on my L, Dave's Mods & 55/160 jetting. Runs like a pi$$ed off rhino! Will lift the front when rolling on the throttle in second, but not to full wheelie without tugging on it a bit. (Stock gearing)

Plug looked good last time I could ride it, but its winter & I don’t get it out much. So that may change a bit when things warm back up.

If I don’t swap out my carb first *L*

Good gawd help me!

I can’t stop fiddling! ?

Winter sucks! :bonk:

I completely tore the thing down & cleaned/lubed/loctited everything.

Now..

That…

Carburetor..

is calling…

?

it would take a lot more juice than my "L' has to pull the front wheel at will ... (something about 'fat-assed rider syndrome') ... ? ... anybody that thinks a pipe and jetting is going to turn their 'L' into a 100+mph powerhouse shouldn't be riding until their smoking material wears off ... ?

it would take a lot more juice than my "L' has to pull the front wheel at will ... (something about 'fat-assed rider syndrome') ... ? ... anybody that thinks a pipe and jetting is going to turn their 'L' into a 100+mph powerhouse shouldn't be riding until their smoking material wears off ... :bonk:

I concur. :bonk:

Second gear will wheelie, but you have to really try, and as I suck at one wheeling anyways I dont even try it much. I'd kersplat anyhow.

I hear alot of people asking about top end speed. I actually dont give a wit about it. I'll never even test it out. As long as i can hit 60-65 sustained (which coincidentally is the speed limit) I am more than happy. I live close to work, and i rarely get much over 50-55 anyhow on the local roads, i dont hit freeways at all. I have no desire whatsoever to go over that 60-65 speed cap. I just want the low end grunt & midrange.

I bought this bike to commute, and explore local trails/fishing holes. I am really in no hurry to get to either one, so speed isnt a concern for me. ?

Top speed riding is for crotch rocket rubber people with a deathwish.

I've done the mods, use 6 disks and silent core on a Whites e-series,and changed the sprockets (14/47) ? . I can raise the front end in second 1/2 foot which is enough to know that any more power at that point is useless but a great indicator of power. I just like two tires on the ground when I'm going 25 mph. Can show off all I want in first then get to serious riding. The bike starts at almost any temp, runs great, no backfire, 220 dip stick temp, will run all day at 65 mph, 42 mpg. What more can you ask for without getting a bike that is strictly road or trail and those bikes can't follow me everywhere I've gone in any single ride I've taken :bonk: . I love the L, versatile, simple, reliable and cheap to maintain. It's fun to talk about pushing the high and low limits but for me, I'll stick to the middle and it'll still be exciting and safe. And..........if I want something lighter I'll work on my own weight first ? .

I've got the IDS2, no disks, 55/155, ported the stock head pipe at the flange, uni filter, desnorkled. With stock gearing it would top an indicated 100mph. at 14/48 it will get right up past 80 easy and will stand right on it's tail in second with throttle only.

I've always wondered though why I only had a 155 main. Anything more and it will blubber badly at full throttle and spew black smoke.

My 05 XR650L stock, would loft the front end in 1st at the twist of the go fast grip.

Re-jetting, smog gone, snorkle removed, UNI filter installed, same, just ran "better".

Installed White Brothers E2 pipe, and... hang on mama we hauling a## now! after a brief street ride I went down a dirst road and coming back up on level ground I rolled it on hard in 2nd and holy Sh** hang on! front end is up and would loft the front end easily. Did it again going up my driveway - just amazed the hell out of me.

Just running it up to 55MPH threw the gears, it sounds like it is bored. Pulls hard from 55-65 past that I don't know...too many Island County cops... ?

I've done the mods, use 6 disks and silent core on a Whites e-series,and changed the sprockets (14/47) ? . I can raise the front end in second 1/2 foot which is enough to know that any more power at that point is useless but a great indicator of power. I just like two tires on the ground when I'm going 25 mph. Can show off all I want in first then get to serious riding. The bike starts at almost any temp, runs great, no backfire, 220 dip stick temp, will run all day at 65 mph, 42 mpg. What more can you ask for without getting a bike that is strictly road or trail and those bikes can't follow me everywhere I've gone in any single ride I've taken :bonk: . I love the L, versatile, simple, reliable and cheap to maintain. It's fun to talk about pushing the high and low limits but for me, I'll stick to the middle and it'll still be exciting and safe. And..........if I want something lighter I'll work on my own weight first :bonk: .

I agree with ya 100% ... how unusual, you may want to seek professional help ...

?

...One guy a while back said that with this setup it should go past 100 and get it right up EASILY in second with no clutch, but I'm a little suspicious of his claim. Opinions?

The L is not a road rocket, it's a big & heavy DP bike. 90 mph is plenty fast for this "light" street bike.

It also has slacker steering angles than true dirt bikes making it harder to wheelie. The motor makes excellent torque, but aside from major gearing changes, you're going to need to pull in the clutch, wind up the motor and then dump the clutch to "get it up" in the gears past first. Takes some practice, but it works.

One last trick that isn't discussed much is to remove one complete link from the chain. Reducing the wheel base by just that much will really change the way the bike responds to lifting the front wheel. Thanks to the guys at xrlug@yahoo.com for that interesting piece of info.

I guess it must depend on the gearing as to whether the bike will wheelie easy. Mine is rediculous in first, I can pop it at will. Second is throttle only as well. If I sit way forward on the seat it will float. But if I sit back it will stand right up no sweat. I'll be glad to prove it to anyone who doubts.

Any chance that someone could get a sound clip on a L with the IDS2 exhaust? Me and my dad were just looking at it, he doesn't want anything too loud though, I figured that if he wants something quieter the adjustable one would be the way to go.

no sound clip, but you will be happy with the sound of the Supertrapp IDS2, I think ... not loud at all, but a nice tone,barely louder than stock ... Tip: my instructions came with a seperate little slip of paper, stating that the 'quiet core' is the equivalent of 6 discs, so any more than 6 will not flow any better ... ?? ... screw it, I ran 8, anyway .. ?

how's that carb work? Is the jetting even close out of the box?

The jetting was close and the bike ran. I have since put the next size larger jets in and it to seems to run well. Being that it's winter here I have not put alot of miles on the bike but they are adding up slow. I will do a plug check soon. The bike would not idle good at first but now it seems to be almost perfect like the carb needed to be broken in or something.