Going to yz400/426

Hey, guys. I've been reading a lot of posts on here, but have never really posted. Now I have a question. I ride a Honda 400ex right now, and I'm tired of riding a quad. I'm going to be getting a bike soon, and I want to get a yz400/426. I'm 5'9 140, and I ride desert, and Glamis. I will also be doing some jumping, no motocross, just playing. Are those good first dirtbikes for what I will be using them for?

Thanks,

Much2fear

You can't go wrong with the 400 or the 426. If it is your first bike, then you will want to take it easy for a while and be sure you are good with it. Both of these bikes will get away from you in a hurry. But if you stick with it and don't let them scare you off you will not be disappointed. Go for it!!!

A 250F may be a better choice to learn on. A 426 is a brute and may too much of a handful for a beginner.

I agree, depending on the person. I have a 426 (I learned on it-do what JBrooks says!!!) and have been pretty pleased, but I'm 6' 200lb.

It was a tough learning curve but worth it for me; not a lot of dough to throw at a "learner" bike. I would've liked to learn on something a little smaller.

PS-use your knees.

Hey, guys. I've been reading a lot of posts on here, but have never really posted. Now I have a question. I ride a Honda 400ex right now, and I'm tired of riding a quad. I'm going to be getting a bike soon, and I want to get a yz400/426. I'm 5'9 140, and I ride desert, and Glamis. I will also be doing some jumping, no motocross, just playing. Are those good first dirtbikes for what I will be using them for?

I went through the same process about 5 months ago... Been riding quads for 14 years and finally decided to try 2 wheels. I've only spent about 15 minutes on a quad(s) since I bought the dirt bikes.

I comtemplated buying a 250F as my first bike but was afraid I'd end up wanting to upgrade after one season... so I bought a 426 for myself and a 400 as a 2nd bike for my brother to ride. Sure, the transition from 4 to 2 wheels was rough at first and there were times I second-guessed my decision... but I am having so much fun now on the bike, I honestly can't get enough of it... there's nothing better than knifing through the sand at Glamis!

You'll be fine on a 400/426 as long as you respect it... but at your size, you could get away with a 250F, even in the dunes and I'm sure most would agree it's probably the better beginner bike.

Good luck!

Okay, so looks like a 250f would be a better choice. How is the power on those compared to a 400ex? I know they won't go much faster in top speed, but I don't top my quad out much. What I was really worried about with the 250f is that it wouldn't be enough at Glamis. Looks like it'd be fine. How does the 250f do as far as hill climbing? Also, how hard are the 01's and 02's to start? I live in California, and a GREEN sticker bike is like gold.

Starting is a piece of cake once you learn the drill. Also, it is a fairly inexpensive upgrade to the auto decompression at around $100 to $200. If you are wanting to do much climbing with it I would recomend a larger bike. But it is ultimately up to you. Remember that a 250f is in the same class as the 125 two stroke. Built for racing, not really made for any type of climbing, just my 2c. Hope this helps.

Josh

My Opinion- If your a good quad or better then good quad rider get the bigger bike. If you don't you will out grow the 250 inside a year. It takes some getting use to, but you already understand throttle control and the rest will come in time. Go 400, 426, and grow into the bike. just my opinion. Come on go for it. ?

Sounds like te bigger bike would be a better choice. I've ridden a cr250 without a problem. Sorry about all these questions, I just want to make sure I get the right bike. would the yz400 be too heavy for a rider of my size? Keep in mind I don't do any motocross, just desert. The 426 looks good too but the 400 is cheaper. Would I notice all the weight of the 400 in desert riding? How well does it go through the air?

Sorry again for all the stupid questions.

--Much2fear

I am 5'9 165 and have the 426. It is a bit heavy at times but if you are looking into climbing this things eats up hills. One thing about this bike is that there is always power in reserve. Seems to always have more if you want it, and if you are going to hit the sands thats something i think you would like to have. I have never been on a 250 and waiting for one of my friends to get one so I can try it out. Would like to know how much the weight difference has to do with the ride and controlability of the bike. But if you are looking into used bikes I would go with the 426 myself, just seems like the better choice. You know what 400 four stroke power feels like you just have to keep in mind that you will be on two wheels now instead of four.

There's not a huge difference in power between a 400 and 426 (I own both)... also, you can't compare the 400cc in a 400EX to the 400cc in a YZ400F... two totally different animals. The YZ400F will rip your arms off compared to the 400EX (I own one of these two).

I'm not trying to talk you out of the bigger bike... it's just my opinion that starting smaller is better. If you learn to squeeze every ounce of performance out of a 250F, you'll be able to utilize the power of 450 much better when you upgrade. My first quad was a 300EX (gutless wonder)... I rode the piss out of that thing in the dunes and when I stepped up to a Banshee I was really able to take advantage of the additional performance.

Granted, I went straight to the big bike when I bought my 400 & 426... so I guess I'm really just talking out of my arse... But, if I thought I could have gotten 2 or 3 seasons out of a 250F I would have bought one... Heck, I'd still like to buy one sometime because it would probably make me a better rider if I learned to go fast on a smaller bike...

Honestly, you'll be fine with either bike... just buy whatever you can get the best deal on.

One additional note (to confuse you even more)... I have a buddy about my size who rides a 250F and it carries him through the dunes just fine... I'm 6'1", 170lbs.

GET THE BIG ONE !!! I ride a 400, im 5'9" 150 and it is SOOOOOO much fun in the sand. the power isnt a problem unless you USE it like HIENZEE siad you know throttle controll only use as much power as you need! By the way I came off of a blaster. a 250 will wear out faster and require more matinece, ESPICALLY in the sand. yea if you were wanting to only ride indoor motocross tracks it would be a problem but your in wide open sand and the torque will be needed after the first 3 rides! good luck!

Will I be able to control the 426 in the air? I will be going to motocross tracks occasionally just for fun. I want to make sure someone my size will be able to control a heavy bike like that in the air.

Good 400's are rare, but they were Grandfathered as to the Green Sticker, I am not sure if the 426 beat the clock with DMV on green stickers. At your size, the 400 would be a screamer, there is nothing you couldn't climb. Then there is the bonus factor that no other bike can claim "Reliability" A well maintained 400 lasts much longer than the current crop of screamers......