What would you buy?

So I was ready to buy a new bike “05” KTM 450exc for $6150 OTD or a “06” WR450F for $6250 OTD when I ran across a used “05” WR450F for $5300 after tax. It has about 5 hours on it, a scratch on the right side number plate and the paint worn off the frame by the foot pegs, the gray wire, throttle stop and baffle has been modified. He is selling it because it is too big for him, (he dumped it the first time he rode it) so he bought a KTM 200exc.

How does that price sound? Would it be worth the extra money to buy new? And I’m still torn between the KTM and Yamaha.

Any help on what bike would be the best fit for me:

I’m 6’1” 230lbs; the riding would be a mix of trails and GNCC/GP type racing. A local track has an hour-long race that consists of their mx track and woods. I would like a bike that I can leave stock, I know the WR needs the “free mods” to make it run what about the KTM?

Thanks for any help.

Kennedy

If it's had the paint worn off the frame after only 5 hours, I'd be a bit skeptical as to the guy's accuracy about its history. Others may disagree, but that seems like an awfully short time. What do the side cases look like as far as wear and tear?...SC

Thats seems like a good price for a 05 if its slightly used. 5 hrs seems like a short time to wear the frame paint. Scratches can happen in seconds...

The $950 saved could go a long way for extras.

$6250 for a new 06 is a great OTD price. Within 100 mi I can't get below $6500 OTD (6% PA tax). I'm planning to pick it up tomorrow.

If you can verify the time on the bike it sounds like a pretty good deal. Maybe try to knock it down a couple hundred more. As far as I know the only real difference between the 05 and 06 ids the digital enduro computer which is knda cool but a little useless. I'm about the same size as you and the bike is just about perfect for me. It's a little biggish in the really tight stuff but so is the KTM. In fact I thinks it's more about the power than the weight. The free mods are just that -"Free"-. Just pull the baffle out of the airbox and you're done. It would be a good idea to get a extended fuel screw and maybe a rejet for your altitude and temps but any bike including the KTM will need that.

Ya I would think its got more than 5 hrs on it. Maybe more like a 100. Hes a liar so I would steer clear of him and get new, whats another dollar when you will have a warranty and a dealer behind you. Plus you will be able to break it in yourself ?

I just ran out to the garage to check my frame and there is almost no paint at all for about six inches up from the footpegs and I've got about 100 hours on it. I guess it depends on where and how you ride. He didn't really say how much paint was gone. I guess it's a judgement call.

I was thinking the same thing about the number of hours and the paint being worn off the frame, but the side cases look clean with no ware, and the tires look good, they still have the rubber nipples on them. But that is why I'm asking your opinions here so I don't get ripped off.

Any Opinions on the "05" KTM vs. the "06" WR?

Thanks

Kennedy

Just bought a new '05 WR 450, paint is worn pretty good on frame after only 60 miles, thought that was kinda soon, but its just paint. With that said, however I would go with the 06'. I've never been a big fan of buying used, a little over a grand difference isn't much when it comes to peace of mind. Just my 2 cents.

If you want total peace of mind, buy a new bike!!!

That being said, I wouln't 'not buy a bike' because it has paint worn off the frame (although I agree with others that he's absolutely stretching it if he wants you to believe he has only 5 hours on the bike).

There are many other ways to 'read' what level of use or abuse the bike has experienced (although reading what's happened inside the engine is a bit tougher). Agree with previous post... bring a buddy who has been in the sport for a while with you to take a look at the bike. He (or she as the case may be) will know within minutes of looking and/or riding.

Good luck.

Even if it does have 100 hours on it, so what! It could probably still be a good bike?

Look at other things. Does it have the original tires? How do they look. Look for road wear that would show around the skid plate.

are the brakes new?

$1000 is quite a bit to save. But then again, it may not be all that much if you've got it.

If you plan on keeping the bike for a few years, then the $1000 won't mean much.

Don't worry about the scratches, that is normal and will happen.

Take it to a bike shop and have them look it over, do a compression check, etc... It may be a good deal.

But... I paid about the same 8 months ago from a guy with a similar story. However, he had the fmf powerbomb header and pipe, scott stabilizer, mods done, etc... I think I got well over $1800 in extras. The 06's weren't even out then.

So, negotiate down a bit. He has got to be looking for a cash buyer, and those are hard to find.

Ya I would think its got more than 5 hrs on it. Maybe more like a 100. Hes a liar so I would steer clear of him and get new, whats another dollar when you will have a warranty and a dealer behind you. Plus you will be able to break it in yourself ?

I know the wr450 does not come with a warranty, 30 days to cover basic stuff but that's all. They classify it as a performance bike and wont warranty anything.

My wifes drz125l on the other hand came with a decent warranty, that we never needed.

I would go with the used WR, everything is done for you, you save some money and the bike ROCKS!