flywheel "T" mark, sight hole vs. crankcase cover removal

Why does the XR650R service manual say to remove the left crankcase cover when aligning the "T" mark when there is a sight hole bolt in the cover??

So you can turn the crankshaft to line the marks up.

Hawk,

Not the whole cover just the little plate in the middle. Put your 17 (I think) on there and you can turn her over. Taking the spark plug out makes it a little easier too. Later, Lee

I've always just removed the sight bolt and turned the engine over with the kickstarter. I do have to use a little mirror with that method to see in the hole while working the kicker.

Hawk,

Not the whole cover just the little plate in the middle. Put your 17 (I think) on there and you can turn her over. Taking the spark plug out makes it a little easier too. Later, Lee

Rs don't have the plug in the middle to access the 17 bolt--only the sight bolt is there.

Rs don't have the plug in the middle to access the 17 bolt--only the sight bolt is there.

Just one more thing that makes L's so much better. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hawk the mirror idea is real good, put a dab of bright paint on the T also.You can pull the plug and spin the rear tire to find TDC.

Translated.... "Split the forum" :thumbsup:

Just one more thing that makes L's so much better. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And the other reason to "split the forum."

Maybe we could take a vote.......

Why does the XR650R service manual say to remove the left crankcase cover when aligning the "T" mark when there is a sight hole bolt in the cover??

You need to take it off to turn the bike over as has already been stated. Also it it difficult to distinguish between the "T" mark and the "I" mark when looking through the sight hole. Just remove the cover and make it easy on yourself. If your adjusting the valves remove the spark plug and rotate the engine in the correct direction without letting spin back or it will activate the auto decompression and mess your valve adjustment up.

And the other reason to "split the forum."

Maybe we could take a vote.......

Again?