HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jobstress

oil filter cover bolt wont tighten.

7 posts in this topic

After my last oil oil change on of the bolts that holds the oil filter cover wouldn't seat just kept spinning. Has anybody had experience with striping the threads on the case? Does it just need tapped and a new bolt? Thanks in advance for the help.

This depends on the extent of the damage. Most likely you will need a helicoil. Which one is it? You may be able to tap it and get it to hold for a while, but you won't be able to tighten it down very tight. I would go with the helicoil, just to be safe. Hope this helps.

Josh

You may be able to get a bolt that is a little longer and catch some threads in the bottom of hole. I don't know how deep they are. You may be able to stick something down the hole "like a skinny nail" and mark it. Then find a bolt that will fit and still snug down. I would just do this as a temporary fix.

Most likely you will need a helicoil. Which one is it? Hope this helps. Josh

It is the top left one of the cover, by the way its a 2000 wr400. Sorry to be ignorant but what is a helicoil? :thumbsup::thumbsup: I want to fix it right so if that what it takes that what I will do.

Are you sure you put the right bolt in the right hole? They ARE different lengths, ya know...

If you've already thought of this and checked, plz excuse the interruption.

A helicoil is a steel thread that you tap into the hole. It's kinda like a heavy spring. How it works is you drill out the existing hole and re tap it for the helicoil. Any motorcycle or auto parts store should be able to help you out.

A helicoil is a steel thread that you tap into the hole. It's kinda like a heavy spring. How it works is you drill out the existing hole and re tap it for the helicoil. Any motorcycle or auto parts store should be able to help you out.

It should also be noted that when using a helicoil it is a good idea to use some sort of anti-seize on the bolt from then on due to dis-similar metals coming into play. Just keeps you from turning the helicoil out with the bolt should they become seized together. This would be the most reliable repair in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Josh