What psi should I be running???

Greetings Thumpers!!!!!

Just wandering what kind of air pressure I should be running?

I always run about 15psi in front and back whether I'm running on sand, soft dirt, hardpack, etc. Is this a no no????

I own a 2001 WR426 and I seem to be hooking up decent on the different terrain but could I even get better performance if I change the psi per the riding conditions?

Thanks for the input!

Mark (ILLINOIS)

I've been having a real big problem with flats lately. Most of them have been front tires, only one in the back. All the fronts have been pinch flats from hitting rocks I guess. The mechanic at the local shop told me to run about 20 psi in the front to help resist pinch flats. I've been running 20 psi but I'm still getting alot flats. Any suggestions?

Hurricane

I was having the local Yamaha shop put them in but that started to get a little expensive after a couple of times so I started putting them in myself. Either way I'm still getting them. I think it has alot to do with this new place we've been riding at, BIG ROCKS everywhere. This past saturday my friend blew out the rear on an XR400 then an hour later I blew out my front. Needless to say we are getting pretty good at changing tubes. Any suggestions on brands of tubes. I've tried heavy duty tubes and even filled them with slime and still getting the flats (mostly pinch flats.) HELP!!

RSK, GA426OWNER and I were just talking a couple of weeks ago about an article in Dirt Rider Mag, where they have developed a solid core foam insert for the front and rear tire just for Rock enthusists such as desert riders and yourself. Someone said they were a little pricy....like $125. per wheel. But performed extremely well.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Bonzai ?

I use MSR heavy duty tubes. They are a little pricy ($16.00 each)but I hate changing flats. I ride a lot of desert and rocks. The only pinch flat I have had was on the original front tube/tire and I hit hard enough to bend the rim. You might want to see if you can find some new tires with a stiffer or a taller sidewall, just a thought.

Good luck on the flats

------------------

y2k wr, airbox lid removed, 180 main, 48 pilot, 426yz er needle,

wr timing, WB E-series S-bend w/ tapered head pipe

acerbis tank(yz), sdg seat(yz), scotts damper

A lot of it depends on the terrain you ride and how you ride it. When I go to Bills down in PA I run about 15psi front and rear at the track. Up here in NH I rund 16 front and 20 rear for the rocks. Anything less = pinch flats for me. I don't drive around anything.

No, No, No, thats not it. I find it easier than going around stuff. You Harescramblers are the animals. I'm just a trail rider looking to do and enduro here and there.

Yamakaze,

Now, Thats the name of a mad man ?

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited September 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited September 26, 2001).]

Run 10psi front and rear all the time and have never pinched a tube. M12's have an extremely stiff sidewall so that helps a lot, but I don't know how anyone rides with 20psi....hook up like a brick and talk about pushing the front all over. I ride with another friend who seems to get a flat almost every time we ride....difference is he runs over EVERYTHING and I loft the front over EVERYTHING! ?

------------------

Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin, Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.