HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baja brad

Oil for my bike?

16 posts in this topic

I have done a search, read some inputs. I was wanting to get some more input and/or problems? Synthetic ever harm somebody's clutch? If Rotella, use regular or synthetic? Mobil 1 Synthetic? Any positive input would be great. Some ignorant or "know it all comment" ...keep it to yourself......I have read enough negative comments to forum people and heard the "do a search" comments.

Use any name brand thumper rated oil. Stay away from the cheap ones and change the oil often. Oil = cheap insurance!

DO a search! Just kidding :thumbsup: I always used Mobil 1 red cap until they stopped making it. Now I use Amsoil synthetic and I love it. just change it often and youll be just fine.

I've always used Motul oil and have had really good luck with it. Last time I tore the engine down for some tranny work, every part in there looked like brand new and there is about 500 hours on it.

I ran a oil analysis on the Mobil 1 red cap and the new Extended Performance gold cap and they are the same oil. If anyone does not believe me send me your FAX number.

I went right to the gold cap with no problems.

I went from Mobil 1 red cap to the gold cap 15/50 extended based on the oil analysis posted here on TT. Appears to be the same oil, no problems or changes noticed so far. Very easy oil to find, more so than the Mobil 1 MXT-4 and the old Red Cap.

Go for the Gold!

I went from Mobil 1 red cap to 5W30 in the winter months and 10W30 during the summer. The most important thing you can do for your bike is change the oil often. I change mine after every hour of use.

Well it seems that there are a few oil brands to choose from that are equally as good. However, which is the best weight to use?

You want longevity? I followed the factory recommendations. I have used nothing but Yamaha Oil (NON-SYNTHETIC) in my YZ400F since I purchased it new in 1999. One piston, one clutch, original valves and valve train, nothing but nothing has failed on this bike. I can't believe how well this bike has lasted, and it still runs strong and starts easily. I also now have a Honda crf250x and I put Yamaha Oil in that as well. I know I can buy more expensive oil, but why mess with success..

You want longevity? I followed the factory recommendations. I have used nothing but Yamaha Oil (NON-SYNTHETIC) in my YZ400F since I purchased it new in 1999. One piston, one clutch, original valves and valve train, nothing but nothing has failed on this bike. I can't believe how well this bike has lasted, and it still runs strong and starts easily. I also now have a Honda crf250x and I put Yamaha Oil in that as well. I know I can buy more expensive oil, but why mess with success..

do you use 10w-30 or 20w-50?