Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
milje

650L jetting, kick start?

4 posts in this topic

Ok I know this is a pretty common question, but I don't think my second question is too terribly common so I'll just ask them both here.

My dad's 03 XR650L is horribly lean. Altitude here is 1550 feet. He's not interested in doing all of the free mods for the carb, we're just wondering what size jet's you guys would recommend, or if he would be better off getting a jet kit and trying a couple of different ones out to get it right?

Second question, does anybody make a kick start for the bike? Electric start is ok, but we're afraid of the day when we're out in the woods riding and his battery dies in the mud or something if he stalls. With just e-start we'd be pretty well screwed since it's mostly kinda tight woods around me, so push starting would be a bitch. A kick start would be nice insurance to have....so anybody know of an aftermarket one?

Cutting the tab off the pilot screw and adjusting that will ritchen that circut up a little if not enough go up one size to a 55 stock is 50. Drilling the slide is easy and free and I found this made a nice diff. on throttle responce. Jets are cheap and Dave's mod's really are the best way to go. As far as the kick start goes you would have to split the cases so its not worth even going there other wise we would all have them. The honda starter is very reliable so don't sweat it. The carb mod's will even make the bike start easier.

Ok I know this is a pretty common question, but I don't think my second question is too terribly common so I'll just ask them both here.

My dad's 03 XR650L is horribly lean. Altitude here is 1550 feet. He's not interested in doing all of the free mods for the carb, we're just wondering what size jet's you guys would recommend, or if he would be better off getting a jet kit and trying a couple of different ones out to get it right?

Second question, does anybody make a kick start for the bike? Electric start is ok, but we're afraid of the day when we're out in the woods riding and his battery dies in the mud or something if he stalls. With just e-start we'd be pretty well screwed since it's mostly kinda tight woods around me, so push starting would be a bitch. A kick start would be nice insurance to have....so anybody know of an aftermarket one?

I'd like a kick start, too, but the hassle/time/money factor to get it just is never going to be worth it. Too bad Honda won't let us order them with such options. :bonk:

Dave's carb mods are one of the easiest, most effective modifications you can do. I de-smogged, Dave-carb-modded, re-jetted, de-snorkled, re-gas-tanked mine all in one session, and the most awkward thing for me, especially since I did it all together, was that haunting feeling of "that was all to quick & easy....what'd I forget?"

Yup, it's that easy. :thumbsup:

Oh, and instead of cranking the e-start on a large thumper that would turn over-and-over without starting, it almost instantaneously fired right up, at half-choke, and would idle at no choke within 10-15 seconds. Before, it would not start (had used ether/starting fluid before), and when it would after a shot of starting fluid in the side-panel-removed airbox, it would take seemingly forever to be warmed up enough to ride. Usually had to keep the choke on for the first few miles.

Yup, it's that good. :thumbsup:

PS: Hardest thing about doing the carb mods yourself might be obtaining jets. I live in the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex, and it was disturbing to learn just how few people stock them, or care to. Dennis Kirk has them for $1.99 each, so the kits are a serious rip-off as far as I am concerned. I ended up paying close to $20 for a 157 & 160 Main and a 55L Pilot. I could have mail-ordered them for about $8 with shipping. YMMV.

I miss having a kickstarter, but I'll tell you, my bike was inverted in a 33 degree stream on a 32 degree day one November for about 20 minutes, and I had to crank that bastard for a long time with the plug out before all the water was out of the cylinder and crankcase.

Keep a fairly new battery in there, and you can put a fair amount of trust in the Estart.

Dave