Cleaning the cases

How do you fellas brighten up the weathered aluminum on the engine cases when they start looking weathered. My L is over 12 years old and still runs good but the motor does not look that great theses days. Does the old mag cleaner acid work. How about water and Ajax with a brush? I know a lot of you guys on here have some really clean older bikes that look great so how about some advice? :thumbsup::bonk: Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I use oven cleaner.

What ever you clean it with make sure the motor is cold.

Take em off and have them powder coated.....they even have an OEM honda color....lasts a long time. Cost about $100 for the pair of sidecovers.

Powder coating and oven cleaner for the bare aluminum areas are some ideas that I have not considered. Thanks :thumbsup:

Take em off and have them powder coated.....they even have an OEM honda color....lasts a long time. Cost about $100 for the pair of sidecovers.

DAAAAAAAAAAMN... you need to find a new powder coater... $100 for a couple covers... You got ripped... LOL

Be carefull of oven cleaner, as some of them are caustic and can etch surface and make alum oxidize faster and looking nastier than when you started. Might want to test on something simalar first and then let it sit for a couple of days after & recheck finish. (maybe old casea from bone yard?) Good luck

I used to work for a farm store that did alot of feed delivery and crop spraying. The boxes on the feed trucks and the tanks on the spray trucks where aluminum. they kept them shiney by spraying them down with what i believe was a diluted acid of some sort 2-3 times per year.

They never scrubbed them, they just pressure washed them, then sprayed them down with whatever that mixture was, and left them set a few hours, and hosed them off with fresh water.

Does anyone know what that stuff was? it seemed to work very well. The trucks where driven year round and sometime looked quite grayed out, but that stuff shined them right up and seemed to last at least a little while anyway.

It seems to me that it would have to degrade the Aluminum over time. The only way to shine a metal is to remove a very thin layer of corroded metal and whatever portion was pitted to bring it to an even level (where it would be shiney) again. Using something like an acid, on the edges of gaskets, plastics, and rubber cable boots and such might not be such a good idea though....