HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cleonard

New Rings, which one goes on top?

2 posts in this topic

My bike, a 93 XR600, was blowing oil out the crankcase breather pretty badly. I was expecting that the rings were worn out. When I took it apart, they sure were. The ring end gap was huge, like .150 or so. Much to my surprise, the bore and piston measured almost like new. Well within spec. A quick hone job on the cylinder and it's ready to put back together. Then I looked down in the crankcase and saw what driven second and third gear looked like. :thumbsup:

I ordered some new gears and Honda rings. However, the new rings look quite different than the old rings. One looks like chrome, but with some sort of tan coating. The other is black. :thumbsup: The third is, of course, the oil control ring. I'm guessing that the chrome one goes on top and the black one in the second slot. The manual is of little help, and I want to do it right. Anyone know which one is the top ring?