HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicagobikefan

Video of Dave's Mods for carburetor

21 posts in this topic

I did Dave's Mods for the carburetor of my '05 XR650L and did a video of the removal of the carb, changing the jets, and shimming the needle. It's in the Pictures & Video forum, but I'll put the link here, too.

Video of Dave's Mods

I hope this demystifies the process for you potential motorheads out there.

what kind of camera is that.... you got a pretty good looking picture there. only thing i would have changed is i would have loosened everything up and then done it again so it would have came off easier i.e. the fuel line you wrestled with for 25 seconds. but i bet you could have shaved four minutes off the video which would have made the file size alot smaller. great job though. not sure how much bandwidth you have but you might want to take it down and just let thumpertalk or 4strokes.com host it for you.

Was it just me, or is there no Sound..

The beginning, when he is fighting with that fuel line is funny..

I'd do a Beavis voice over for that bit:

Heh.. Heh.. Heh Heh Heh Heh.. It's stuck.. Heh Heh.. Ouch!!.. I hit my knuckles!. Heh.. Heh Heh..

Uh HUH HUH... This _____ Beavis, Uh Huh Huh..

:thumbsup:

All that with the honda tool kit. :thumbsup: I didn't watch the whole thing, but thanks for the post. Some busted knuckles and tossing parts in the trash, (PAIR valve), would have been good too. Did you replace the carb screws with allen socket heads? I replaced the throttle cable screws with allen socket heads too. I'm sorry I will watch the whole thing.

Was it just me, or is there no Sound..

The beginning, when he is fighting with that fuel line is funny..

I'd do a Beavis voice over for that bit:

Heh.. Heh.. Heh Heh Heh Heh.. It's stuck.. Heh Heh.. Ouch!!.. I hit my knuckles!. Heh.. Heh Heh..

Uh HUH HUH... This _____ Beavis, Uh Huh Huh..

i was thinking more like "$%%^^&&&*&%$#@@piece of s$^*)why in the $%%#@@ did i think about working on this $%$@!$$"

Ok everyone we have all had a nice little laugh and yes there were some funny (very funny) moments only because we could identify with the actor. But I drew blood when I did the mods too I just didn't need the transfusion or was that one of the little carb tubes stuck in his arm.

Anyway I really liked the whole thing. My hat off to you, if I had seen it before I did my mod it would have been a whole lot easier..........right?

Hats off to a noble and quite good quality effort. How about some background music like from Jaws DA da DA da.

"but fellas I really need more cowbell"

Hey Great job on the video! :banana: I must say it is alot better when you can see someone do it over reading it :banana: Thanks again for all your efforts. I know your fellow TT brothers and sisters love you for it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk::bonk::bonk::eek::eek::lol::p:p:banana:

Yeah, I decided to leave the bloopers in, except for the really stupid parts like dropping screws on the garage floor, etc. And the video was *much, much* longer than that, I edited out about 75% of it. You know how it is, a one hour job takes three hours. I did drill the slide, but I did that on previous carb work and so did not tape it.

No, there was no sound. I have a Panasonic 3CCD camcorder, by the way.

Glad that you liked it. I know the file size was a little big, but I wanted it to be clear.

wow kool video,we all laugh at the fuel line struggle but were laughing cause it's happened to us,holy crap i'm suprised you can even find the carb with all thos hoses in the way I have a 94xr650bE (before emissions)lol thanks again

Ahhh, the good old knuckle-bustin' days :thumbsup: and the fickle CV carb. Brings back memories: gas fumes, finger cuts, profanity & suds. Did I mention the suds? :bonk:

Nice job. I really liked the special effects with the blood on the hands. Was that real or did you have stunt hands? :bonk:

Here are a few tips from a repeat carb modder myself, you can swing the rear brake fluid reservoir down and completely out of the way and twist-tie it off upright to one of the vacant side panel mounts. Also, remove the (stock) heat shield from the header pipe. Every millimeter of clearance you can provide the easier it is to "extract" that bulbous mixer out of its confines.

Also, spray penetrating oil like WD-40 on those stubborn carb scews, especially the float bowl screws. Tap (lightly) on the end of a phillips screwdriver inserted in each screw head. Helps those babies back right out without the use of profanity.

What's next? A sequel for adjusting the valve lash? :thumbsup:

I did Dave's Mods for the carburetor of my '05 XR650L and did a video of the removal of the carb, changing the jets, and shimming the needle. It's in the Pictures & Video forum, but I'll put the link here, too.

Video of Dave's Mods

I hope this demystifies the process for you potential motorheads out there.

That was great. Thanks for the video, cool. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spread the knowledge... If any of you are members of 4strokes.com or any other online forum, feel free to post the video there, too. The URL of the video is http://www.violetinfo.com/davesmods.wmv

It hit 4 below zero in Chicago a few nights ago, but I was thinking about going out for a short ride anyway. I ended up not going. Would any of you have gone out in that weather?

I haven't watched it yet but I appreciate your efforts. I'm doing those same mods soon so I'll need to get an idea of what to do.

Thanks!

Looks like I got the wrong jets. Where did you get yours? You still have the parts #'s?

Here is the ones I was given and the bike shop.

march9.jpg

I got the jets from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com. Type in Keihin in the top box. The first 5 or 6 links will take you to where you need to go. If you have a Keihin carb in a XR650L, YOU MUST GET THE 21 SERIES PILOT JETS, not the 22 series.

The 58 pilot jet is stock number 143186. A 162 main jet is stock number 143252. A 165 main jet is stock number 143253. I got them in a week! :thumbsup:

I have done the Dave's mods and was wondering about the jets. I am currently running the 58/165 and I am an elevation of 1000 ft. Is this too much? Should I drop it down to 55/160. What is ideal for 1000 ft.

de-smogged - WB E2 Exhaust - K&N Air filter - snorkel removed. I am getting addicted to jetting this sucker. he he..

I got the jets from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com. Type in Keihin in the top box. The first 5 or 6 links will take you to where you need to go. If you have a Keihin carb in a XR650L, YOU MUST GET THE 21 SERIES PILOT JETS, not the 22 series.

The 58 pilot jet is stock number 143186. A 162 main jet is stock number 143252. A 165 main jet is stock number 143253. I got them in a week! :thumbsup:

I got my jets from XRS only. What is the difference between the 21 and the 22 series? :thumbsup:

I don't know what's the ideal jetting for different elevations. You can see the difference between the 21 and 22 jets by going to motorcycle-superstore.com, entering "keihin" (without the quotes) in the top search box. You'll see a bunch of links come up; halfway down the page there's a link for the 21 and 22 series. The 21 has the threads on the fat part of the jet, and the 22 series has the threads on the thin part of the jet.