what cam for auto decompresion to get

im not sure of which cam to buy? i was going to get the hot cam, but was told to get both if i get the hotcams. should i get a stock 2003?i have a 2000 wr 400. ?

I have heard of problems running hot cams. Click this link, it will give you instructions for install and the part number to order ?

http://photobucket.com/albums/b122/byggd/?action=view&current=450cam_Page_1.jpg

well, thats bad news. i just found out i shouldnt use a stocker 2003yz cam as well. something about it will wear the chain out out extremely fast. ?

Nonsense! I have a 03 YZ cam in my 99 WR400 with over 5000 miles on it. The cam gear and chain are holding up just fine. Go for it.

Nonsense! I have a 03 YZ cam in my 99 WR400 with over 5000 miles on it. The cam gear and chain are holding up just fine. Go for it.

Exactly. That's what was believed early on but has proved to be wrong. I was concerned when I read the same thing after installing one on my 02 426 but there are many MANY TTers that have done it, put on thousands of miles with no problems at all ?

i too have installed the yz450f auto decomp cam n had no issues about it. been running my bike for thousands of mile.. the bike runs alot stronger compare to all my buddies' wr400f ? ..the bike juz pulls endlessly.. i love this mod ? .. u shud go for it.. cheers..

• 3 weeks later...
i too have installed the yz450f auto decomp cam n had no issues about it. been running my bike for thousands of mile.. the bike runs alot stronger compare to all my buddies' wr400f :bonk: ..the bike juz pulls endlessly.. i love this mod ? .. u shud go for it.. cheers..

What timing did you use, YZ or WR? Mine is in the shop, ('01 WR 426) getting the valves reseated and new springs, Cam tensioner, chain,etc etc.. I am having the 03 YZ450 exhaust cam installed since they are already in there, I am just unsure on timing. ?

What timing did you use, YZ or WR? Mine is in the shop, ('01 WR 426) getting the valves reseated and new springs, Cam tensioner, chain,etc etc.. I am having the 03 YZ450 exhaust cam installed since they are already in there, I am just unsure on timing. ?

i have a yz450f cam on my bike. it's yz timed. if i wud run a wr timing, i will nt be able to use the auto-decomp function

im not sure of which cam to buy? i was going to get the hot cam, but was told to get both if i get the hotcams. should i get a stock 2003?i have a 2000 wr 400. ?

Man - The shop just called, apparently they feel the 01 WR 426 cam chain will not accomodate the sprocket on the exhasut cam? So, now I am paying another $80 to "upgrade" to the hot cams.

Somebody holler somthing positive! I have got riding plans for Sunday (even though it is snowing today - and 65 the day before? - OHIO)

I did my '00 wr400 a few weeks ago with the YZ cam. It may look like the chain doesn't seat all the way down on the new sprocket teeth but it works fine. I could see an overly cautious shop telling you that.

Hopefully you have a good mechanic though, mine had never even heard of this mod and he thought he knew everything about every yamaha ever made. After an idle problem with a severly freighed throttle cable he never found and charged me $80 for doing nothing (I found the throttle cable problem after the idle started acting up the next time I took it out to ride). Turns out he's just a dumbass.

If you have any time at all, get a manual and some tools. Not much on these bikes are that complicated.

There is no reason why that cam would not work in your bike. What dealership told you that so I can make sure I do not go to them for any work. I installed an 03 YZ cam in my 02 WR about a year and a half ago and it has been great. It is not difficult to install, you should do it yourself. My dealership offered to do it for me in Columbus but I prefered to do it myself.