Looking for woods bike

Its been a few years since I had a woods bike and I'm looking at a 2001 WR426F. I haven't ridden it yet but it looks to be in very good shape. Original and no mods.

Asking $ is 2400.

My last woods bikes were:

Suz 1996 DR350, not to bad but not enough power,

KTM 2001 640, Too much, a little heavier and the longer stroke made it necessary to use the clutch alot in tight sections.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the 01 WR426F. Does the price seem resonable?

Thanks to all.

When I think woods bike I think light flickable and smooth power.

I have a 99 WR 400 and the WR 250 is better suited for tight woods than the big bore. Most of my buddies ride 250 thumpers and when we swap bikes I find their bikes are easier to go fast through single track and don't wear me out as much.

Just my 2 cents.

If it is truly in good shape that is a good price. I just sold my 99' 400 for $2350.

I'm 6'3" 220 and would not be caught dead on a small bore thumper ?

Depending on your riding style and your willingnus to drop a little money on suspension you can have an awesome woods weapon with that 426.

A lot of people say it depends on how big you are, but I disagree. I'm 5'7" 160 lbs., and I love my 98 WR400. I shaved the seat and rasied the front forks about 1" so I can touch the ground when I stop. I am a novice rider with no racing experience, so it may be different along those lines. I've also owned a 2000 WR250 and I would never trade my 400 for that bike. They are almost the same size and weight, but the extra response in the throttle is worth the little bit of extra weight. Plus it's a form of exercise for me, so I like being worn out when I'm done riding. ?

The only way you are going to find out is to ride each bike and see how they feel to you. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes about these bikes.

One other thing that's nice...the WR400 is the best low-maintenance bike I've ever owned. Change the oil, clean the filter, and fill 'er up with high octane gas and she's ready to tear it up! :bonk:?

Price sounds good.

With my WR450, the engine has enough power to idle through most of the tight trails in second gear without stalling. The bigger engine will also provide more engine braking for corners. I rarely go down to first gear or shift up into third gear. My riding buddies have WR250 & YZ250f and they seem to shift more and run the higher rpm's when we ride, besides losing any drag race on the straight-aways.

Is the YZF450 too much for a woods bike?

Will it run well at low RPMs?

Most all articles I read compare a WRF to the YZF and offer mods to get a WRF to run like a YZF.

Why not just buy a YZF?

Thanks again

Most of the mods are done to get the WR running like a WR should run. It comes off the showroom floor very restricted due to the high demands of the dope sucking, long haired tree hugging hippies. Smog Pump, Exhaust Baffle, Throttle stop, etc. But the advantage to getting a WR and tricking it out is the electric start. you can have a bike that runs as good as the YZ, but has the convenience of a trail bike. I have made some mods to mine just because I like the looks of the YZ more. But deep down, shes a WR and always will be.

But I rode a YZ 250 on the trails for years, and as soon as I went to the WR 450, all of the sudden all of my riding buddies are wanting to get the four strokes, because I leave them in the dust. My uncle has YZ 426 that he rides on the trails, and there are times that it takes him where IT wants to go. The WR has all the power you need, but its easier to tame. So if youre wanting the best all around bike for the trails, and for the riding in between the trails, you are going to want to WR 450. Trust me, too many guys regret the 250 because it lacks in power.

Is the YZF450 too much for a woods bike?

Will it run well at low RPMs?

Most all articles I read compare a WRF to the YZF and offer mods to get a WRF to run like a YZF.

Why not just buy a YZF?

Thanks again

The YZ450 is a four speed vs. the WR being a 5 speed. The WR's 1st gear is very low and 5th gear is very high. This 1st gear is great for hill climbs and slow/tight trail sections. You will probably have to slip the clutch alot on a YZ to find the right gearing for woods riding. YZ is designed for the motorcrosss track. Racers use 3rd gear most of the time on the tracks.

The WR also has a coolant overflow tank. The YZ does not have the coolant overflow and will overheat if not enough air flows through the radiators.

The YZ450 is a four speed vs. the WR being a 5 speed. The WR's 1st gear is very low and 5th gear is very high. This 1st gear is great for hill climbs and slow/tight trail sections. You will probably have to slip the clutch alot on a YZ to find the right gearing for woods riding. YZ is designed for the motorcrosss track. Racers use 3rd gear most of the time on the tracks.

The WR also has a coolant overflow tank. The YZ does not have the coolant overflow and will overheat if not enough air flows through the radiators.

06' YZ450 is 5 speed.

In April of 2003, I paid $3500 for my 01 WR 426. I absolutely love the bike and will only get rid of it if i upgrade to a 450. Your price is good, but find $1000 more somewherre and upgrade!

My suggestion - GET THE NEWER MODLE WITH ELECTRIC START! I only ride trails and hills, no motorcross. Too many times, I have followed someone that dumped it or killed it on a long vertical climband. That leaves you back, on washed out terrain, balancing on one foot, unable to switch into neutral, on a hill side. Trying not too roost the guys behind you, you can kill it easily. ELECTRIC START IS A HUGE advantage!!

Getting used to the decompression lever, the hot start button, etc can be challenging on the WR426.

Seriously, sell your car if you have to, just get the electric start. In 2070, at your funeral, they will make a special casket for you and your bike! ?

So if youre wanting the best all around bike for the trails, and for the riding in between the trails, you are going to want to WR 450. Trust me, too many guys regret the 250 because it lacks in power.

Ha, I find this a typical response from folks who just don't don't understand how to ride a 250F right. I still have my '01 WR426, love it. But am way quicker everywhere except in a staight wide open line with my little '05 YZ. This bullshit "underpower" crap is old. Bring any and all your big bikes and let's go for a ride. I have a beer waiting for you when you finally make it to the end............

Ha, I find this a typical response from folks who just don't don't understand how to ride a 250F right. I still have my '01 WR426, love it. But am way quicker everywhere except in a staight wide open line with my little '05 YZ. This bullshit "underpower" crap is old. Bring any and all your big bikes and let's go for a ride. I have a beer waiting for you when you finally make it to the end............

Easy buddy. The guy is asking for opinions, and I gave him mine. Maybe you should drink that beer, it'll relax you a bit.

Thanks for all the responses.

After giving the used 426 a good look over I decided to pass and look at newer models. I questioned how well it was maintained. I started to look for 04 thru 06 WR450's. Pretty tough to find these used in that range in my area.

Our local Yamaha / Honda dealer has new a 06 WR450 and new 05 CRF450x on the floor and both within $100.00 of each other.

Perfromance wise I read they area about the same. the dealer did say they sell more engine repair components forthe CFR and said that with proper maint. the WR is about bullet proof. The CFR is tempting with the Aluminum frame because I never had one. but I remenber when I went from a steel tube to aluminum frame mountain bike and how harsh the ride was in comparison. Even with the All frame the weight is pretty much the same.

I'm leaning to the WR450.

I have read the articles and threads on quickie mods. I was still supprised on the difference in throttle travel between the WR and YZF. I didn't ride it but I never had a bike with that short of travel !

I don't want to drag this thread on but has anyone ever dual sported a WR450 ?

Any opinions are welcomed and Thanks again !

I don't want to drag this thread on but has anyone ever dual sported a WR450 ?

Any opinions are welcomed and Thanks again !

Im not sure of his name on here, but there is a guy that sells a super cheap kit that is the bare essentials of what you need to get it street legalized. It took me a few tries, and I had to end up taking it into the local Yamaha shop for them to do it there because no one else would.

I have a WR450F and CR250R which has a Rekluse. My favorite all round bike? My daughter's YZ250F with a Rekluse. She'll do motocross, tight woods, hills and anything else you can throw it's way. I'm about 240lbs and the bikes suspension is perfect for a high D/low C motocross rider and it's not so hard as to be uncomfortable in the woods. We've had this bike for about 16 months now with one road trip to Kentucky. If I had to do it again? We'd have two YZ250F's with Rekluses.

I'm in the processes of dual sporting my WR450F. I've got the trick dual sport kit installed but currently waiting on the mirror mounts. The headlight didn't work correctly when I first installed it, but my bike was wired differently from the factory than other WR's. He called me back about 10 minutes after I sent an e-mail, even gave me his personal cell number.....you can't beat the customer service.

Rich

I have a dual sported street legal 05 wr450. Between the mods needed to uncork the engine, get all the dual sport necessities installed, and installing bark busters etc., you'll spend a lot more time wrenching than riding. The big WR works a lot better on open trails and fire roads where you can use power. I find it a bit of a handful on single track, high c.g., too much weight, and excessive power all contribute to the problem. I love mine, but 200cc. two strokes and 250 to 400 cc. four strokes kick butt in the tight trails. 25 to 35 controllable hp and 20 less pounds will get you thru a lot quicker and less fatigued.

Hearing it from a guy who has NEVER had a bike before might help. I have raced, ridden, and anything else you can with quads. I've had National caliper down to my wifes stock 450R and I bought a bike thinking that I would ride it with my family and since then my sister has almost died and my wife has scared herself to death to the point that i go alone. I love mine. I have a thing about Yamaha's which is what pushed me to the WR and the fact that the WR line has been around for the longest. It is the most " user friendly " thing i have ever been on including the quads from way back in the 80's when I was a kid. Mine is bone stock and i don't think you can beat it. I've ran it on fast 4th gear trails and 1st and 2nd gear trails and it did great. I am 6'1" and 230lbs. I'm and bricklayer and strong enough to muscle the bike around. It really comes down to preference. I have hard core HONDA friends that would rebuild their bike 100 times before they would admit they are junk and same for Yamaha guys. I took to mine really easily. I'm not near as good as I am on quads but I don't have any problems getting around on it. The electric start RULES. ?