left over 05 yz 450

Hey guys my local dealer has a left over 05 YZ450 he will sell me for $5,880 out the door. I have a 98 WR 400 now and ride woods but would really like to get a 450 . Are there some wood's guys that have one? How does the 4 speed gear box work for you and did you change the front sprocket to make it work better in tight woods ? Do you have any trouble with it stalling ? Have you added a fly wheel weight and what was it? I aim 48 and I have been riding off road for about 30 years or so. I don't race, just play ride .

Hey guys my local dealer has a left over 05 YZ450 he will sell me for $5,880 out the door. I have a 98 WR 400 now and ride woods but would really like to get a 450 . Are there some wood's guys that have one? How does the 4 speed gear box work for you and did you change the front sprocket to make it work better in tight woods ? Do you have any trouble with it stalling ? Have you added a fly wheel weight and what was it? I aim 48 and I have been riding off road for about 30 years or so. I don't race, just play ride .

Don't do it! Spend the extra $1000 on the 06 it is more than worth the money! Also your 48 year old body will thank you. It feels 20lbs lighter and and the suspension is much better and the power is smooth as silk. The bike is a dream to ride you will not regret it - I dont. ?

I can see how the new '06 would be worth the extra cash, but if you aren't racing, and you are money-wise and like to stretch your dollar as far as you can, then I'd say offer them $5500 and you'll be golden. I have an '05 and love it. Would I want an '06, yes, you bet! But it is worth the extra cash to me right now?? nope, not with three kids....gotta think about the entire picture. I have no idea how it works in the tight woods, as I haven't taken mine there. I would guess with a heavier flywheel and maybe even a Rekluse auto clutch you'd be good to go. You'll love the suspension!! My last bike was a '98 (had both the YZ and the WR). This bike is WORLDS better.

hope that helps!

I am 45 and bought an 05 in October for the same price. I added a heavy flywheel and did the front and rear suspension and love the bike. I ride MX and trail so its a great bike I dont race and couldnt see spending the extra on the bike when I needed to upgrade the springs and valves anyway.

I do like the 05 track and trail its a blast.

try and talk them down as much as possible. The have to know that they will lose money on this bike now that the new model is out with all of its upgrades. The YZ is not a good trail bike in stock form unless you can really haul on the trails. It is geared tall and would benefit from more flywheel weight for that application.

Don't pay more than $5K for that bike. Yamaha is giving their dealers huge incentive ($500+) to move the '05's. If you wait until the next wave of '06's hit, you can probably pick one up for another $500 OTD if you shop around. I think I saw a fellow TT'r selling his one hour '06 YZFfor $6K.

The '05 is now yesterdays news w/the release of the aluminum framed '06. Unless you plan to keep the'05 a long time, you'll be hit with $1200 + in depreciation the second you wheel it off the dealer floor. Look what low hour '05's are selling for. The market is weak.

My .02 worth...I got a leftover 05 YZ450 about 8 weeks ago. 5286 otd. Was one of those situations like" cmon,am I really gonna know the difference playing in the desert(Im in SoCal) and an occasional vet race? Im more than happy,although I would have liked the Yellow 80's look..didnt see over 1800 more in it for one that isnt gonna bang bars everyweekend. Charlie

Here is what i would have to say about that . . . GO TO A DIFFERENT DEALER THAT IS NOT TRYING TO BEND YOU OVER

KELLY BLUE BOOK RETAIL VALUE SAYS ...........

February 15, 2006

2005 Yamaha YZ450F

1-Cylinder

4-Stroke

449cc

Suggested Retail Value $4555

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the unit's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

I can see how the new '06 would be worth the extra cash, but if you aren't racing, and you are money-wise and like to stretch your dollar as far as you can, then I'd say offer them $5500 and you'll be golden. I have an '05 and love it. Would I want an '06, yes, you bet! But it is worth the extra cash to me right now?? nope, not with three kids....gotta think about the entire picture. I have no idea how it works in the tight woods, as I haven't taken mine there. I would guess with a heavier flywheel and maybe even a Rekluse auto clutch you'd be good to go. You'll love the suspension!! My last bike was a '98 (had both the YZ and the WR). This bike is WORLDS better.

hope that helps!

One question, have you ridden the 06?

I had an 02, 03, 04, 05 & 06 the 02 & 03 were some what belligerent they did not like me on them the 04 was a huge improvement over the 03 but similar enough to question weather or not you should buy one, the 05 was like a golden retriever, it had all the good traits of its older brothers but was better looking and had better manners, in retrospect if I would have changed the ignition boxes and the forks each year they would have been the same bike with the exception of the redesigned head and the primary ratio on the 05. The 06 however is a different matter entirely it is as different as it gets with very few similarities it maintains the straight line stability of its brothers but feels entirely different, I was only able to ride my 06 3 times before my ACL replacement but I was thoroughly impressed with the bike as it came out of the crate it inspired such confidence, it felt like the rear wheel was more directly connected to the handlebars due to less frame flex than the other bikes. The 06 is a little different when it comes to turning than the older brothers it definitely seems like there is room for improvement even over the old bike and I took my suspension from the 05 and bolted it onto the 06 while mine was being done, maybe the shock was slightly shorter or something, or maybe the 05 frame flexed more altering the geometry making it easier to turn. When I get better Ill figure it out, I'm going to try a 22mm clamp and a shorter link to see how that effects the turning.

How I would look at it is if you get the 06 you will most likely keep it for another year and it will have better resale value at that point also, my 05 was heavily modified and actually had more in accessories on it that it originally cost and it brought 4,500 with 84 hours on it.

Buy it you will like it more longer and you only live once.

hope that helps!

But on the other hand, when you are already shelling out $5500, might as well get exactly what he wants. Personally Id rather have the '06 and soak it up some how. Have one beer instead of two for a while I guess.

Ill chime in to get a better price. That dealer knows how hard it's going to be to sell that 05 when he has 06's that are completely different on the same sales floor. I wouldn't pay more than $4900-$5000 for it, and only if your SURE you won't be looking at the 06's in a year wishing you had that. $5K is alot of money to spend, I suggest take a good look at what you want before spending that much money on an out dated model.

One question, have you ridden the 06?

I had an 02, 03, 04, 05 & 06 the 02 & 03 were some what belligerent they did not like me on them the 04 was a huge improvement over the 03 but similar enough to question weather or not you should buy one, the 05 was like a golden retriever, it had all the good traits of its older brothers but was better looking and had better manners, in retrospect if I would have changed the ignition boxes and the forks each year they would have been the same bike with the exception of the redesigned head and the primary ratio on the 05. The 06 however is a different matter entirely it is as different as it gets with very few similarities it maintains the straight line stability of its brothers but feels entirely different, I was only able to ride my 06 3 times before my ACL replacement but I was thoroughly impressed with the bike as it came out of the crate it inspired such confidence, it felt like the rear wheel was more directly connected to the handlebars due to less frame flex than the other bikes. The 06 is a little different when it comes to turning than the older brothers it definitely seems like there is room for improvement even over the old bike and I took my suspension from the 05 and bolted it onto the 06 while mine was being done, maybe the shock was slightly shorter or something, or maybe the 05 frame flexed more altering the geometry making it easier to turn. When I get better Ill figure it out, I'm going to try a 22mm clamp and a shorter link to see how that effects the turning.

How I would look at it is if you get the 06 you will most likely keep it for another year and it will have better resale value at that point also, my 05 was heavily modified and actually had more in accessories on it that it originally cost and it brought 4,500 with 84 hours on it.

Buy it you will like it more longer and you only live once.

Nah, haven't had the opportunity to throw a leg over a new '06 yet, but I've drooled on one, does that count?? :bonk: This thread has had some good points, on both sides of the coin. I look at it from a purely economical point of view and $1800+ is a HUGE difference in price, and since I don't race there's no sense in upgrading. HOWEVER, when I bought my '05 it was December of '04 and spent the extra cash (over a lightly used '04) because I wanted to keep it for a long time and wanted to get exactly what I wanted....so, I see both sides, believe me. Now if I could just win the lottery and buy an entire shop..... ??

• 1 month later...

The dealers around here are selling the 05 left overs for $4999 so you should be able to better price wise.

I have a 03 that I ride woods on and I went down 1 tooth in the front and up 2 in the rear. 1st gear is now good for the really tight stuff but it does top out fast. We ride real tight woods so it works good for me but if your riding more open trails 1 tooth down in the front should be good or up 2 in the rear if you dont want as big as a gearing change. My 06 seems to have a high first gear as well although I only rode it 2 times at a indoor and have yet to get it out on the track or in the woods. I wouldnt spend $5800 on a left over but I would spend $5000 on one as opposed to a new one. Or go on ebay or motorcyclebrokers.com and see if you cant find a better deal shipped to you.

If your only riding woods, then buy it, spend a bit extra on a flywheel weight, new chain and sprockets and get your jetting done, you will appreciate the weight save to the heavier wr, back out your clickers to make it ride softer, add a bash plate and barkbusters and you have the ultimate woods weapon.......I bought one in '05' for the purpose of keeping it for a long while, have added a few more aftermarket bits like pipe, tyres, pro tapers, gripper seat, adjustable fuel screw and the thing just plain rips on the trails, all my mates with wr's always want to swap. But yeah beat the dealer down, these bikes are obsolete, and when the efi comes out, they will be ancient, and CHEAP!, so buy one but plan to keep it for a long while, I wouldn't pay more than $5000 US. As for the 4 speed, less changing = less work, enjoy your bike