[B]XR600r dualsport gearing[/B]

Hello, I know there is a lot of topics on the gearing on the xr's but I cannot find a straight answer. I picked up a chain and sprocket kit for my 91 xr600r. The previous owner said it had a power up kit but I cannot confirm. I have 14/48 now and off road is sweet but on the h-way stinks. I picked up a 15/45 combo and wanted to know if this will be good. I can also use a 14/45 combo because I have a new 14t laying around. I need the best of both worlds, good highway speed and good off road ability.

What works?

If I do have a powerup kit, how do I know and what gearing is good for it?

Thank you all fellow off road riders. ?

--snip

If I do have a powerup kit, how do I know and what gearing is good for it?

Thank you all fellow off road riders. ?

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this, but here goes.

I also have an xr600r ('89) that is supposed to have the HRC power-up kit, I'm pretty sure mine does, the prev. owner seemed totally straight with me, and everything I've checked has been exactly as he said.

There are couple of things that are different.

Bore is 3mm (2mm?) larger: 100mm

Cam timing is different - this may be the easiest way to tell if you have the PU kit as it's like 40 degrees different, you should be able to tell by the flywheel and valve movement - don't have to pull head, just look at valve rockers.

Compression is higher.

Primary gearing is lower.

I'll try to remember to bring my notes in tomorrow and post a follow-up. Get you the cam specs, gearing, etc.

--Soren