Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxluke834

'06 YZ450f leaking water pump

14 posts in this topic

I own a '06 YZ450 with no time on it, its to cold in MN, but when I start it in the garage it leaks a few drops of coolant from the water pump weep hole until warm. Dealer replaced seal, still leaked, then replaced pump shaft, still leaks. Yamaha rep. told dealer not uncommon and will stop once bike broke in. I don't know if I buy it. Anyone here of this?

I haven't experienced this personally on any of the Yamaha 's I've broken in, but I hear that the seals break in with wear and don't really function that efficiently until they do break in. I'd give it some time and see if it's still a problem.

Hey Luke ajc here, don't think to much until you get it out on a fairly warm day and we start riding, mine doesn't leak thou, I think you have my # give me a call. AC

is it cold enough for water to freeze? You might need to drain the coolant if that is the case and use more of a 70/30 mixture or store it dry until it warms up.

Installed a skid plate on mine last week and noticed that mine was 'weeping' a bit of coolant as well (very small amount pooled on the plate). Only one ride on it due to cold temps. A friend of mine who rides red says his 450 did the same thing when new... and then stopped once the seals seated. I'm gonna watch it carefully though as it gets broken in and as the weather warms up a bit.

I own a '06 YZ450 with no time on it, its to cold in MN, but when I start it in the garage it leaks a few drops of coolant from the water pump weep hole until warm. Dealer replaced seal, still leaked, then replaced pump shaft, still leaks. Yamaha rep. told dealer not uncommon and will stop once bike broke in. I don't know if I buy it. Anyone here of this?

Yamahas are pretty reliable, listen to the dealer rep and ride it, see what happens, not very warm in our area right now seals are probably hard.

Installed a skid plate on mine last week and noticed that mine was 'weeping' a bit of coolant as well (very small amount pooled on the plate). Only one ride on it due to cold temps. A friend of mine who rides red says his 450 did the same thing when new... and then stopped once the seals seated. I'm gonna watch it carefully though as it gets broken in and as the weather warms up a bit.

I just came off a CRF and it did the same thing. Only in cold weather. Just keep an eye on it.

Put some silicone grease on the seals it stops them from going hard and helps them swell a little, you can get silicone grease from dive shops, we use it on rebreathers and it works a treat, and trust me they have a lot of seals and 'o'rings.

Mark

Have an 06 yz 450 and it did the same thing when it was new. Now that the bike is broken in it hasent been a problem.Large diesel engines will also do this below -20c until seals warm and expand.

ive been riding yzfs in the winter for years & they all do it in real cold weather until ther warmed up for the day.i wouldnt waste a seconds worth of worry over it.very common nothing wrong with it.

Just noticed that mine leaks a little until warm....once warm, it is good. I wouldn't worry about it. I know that MN has been cold as :censored: lately so wait til it warms up to do anything major.

Where about in MN are you? What dealer did you buy it from?

This thread was started on 2/13/06, I don't know if you noticed that. He probably figured it out by now.

I am in the middle of replacing the outer water seal on mine that started leaking in storage this winter...the cold made it leak. Some say it will go away when it warms up, but I'm replacing it and making sure everything is new. Easy job!