HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InternalCombustion

XR650R Ignition tests

3 posts in this topic

Hey.

Got an ignition problem, no spark. Trying to trace down the problem but the Honda manual says I gotta take voltage readings using a "peak voltage adapter" inline with a multimeter. Got a multimeter but searched high and low on the internet for a peak voltage adapter and the only one I found is $90.

Is my only option the get this adapter or are there real-world tests I can do on the BRP 's ignition system? Right now I cannot rule out anything because the excitor coil, pulse generator and ignition coil tests all require this adapter (per the manual).

Any help much appreciated.

To test coils you shouldnt need anything fancy.

Just got to find out what the stock ohmage is for each coil and check it.

The rest, you may indeed need this "peak voltage adapter" but it sounds

like something that just measures the voltage output peak ?

Hey.

Got an ignition problem, no spark. Trying to trace down the problem but the Honda manual says I gotta take voltage readings using a "peak voltage adapter" inline with a multimeter. Got a multimeter but searched high and low on the internet for a peak voltage adapter and the only one I found is $90.

Is my only option the get this adapter or are there real-world tests I can do on the BRP 's ignition system? Right now I cannot rule out anything because the excitor coil, pulse generator and ignition coil tests all require this adapter (per the manual).

Any help much appreciated.

I really don't think you need a peak voltage adapter tester, a simple multimeter would do. If it was me, I would look for bad/dirty connections at the stator(ignition side of the coil, not charging) first, there should be AC voltage coming from each leg when you kick it. I would also make sure the ignition circuit has a good ground, you can do this in ohm's using your meter. Oil, dirt and crap seem to find it's way under where the ignition coil mounts to the frame. Make sure your using a new plug that is gapped and resting on a good source for ground to see the blue spark. The last thing I would do is un-clip my CDI from the harness and clean the plug with a good electrical cleaner.

Good Luck!