HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
450_rider

Lost oil drain bolt

12 posts in this topic

So i was riding around today in a gravel pit on my 03 450, i passed one of my tracks and it looked really shinny in the sun. I figured that i was over heating because i was going kinda slow so i stoped to see if any coolant was coming out of the over flow tube and sure enough the frame drain bolt at the bottom where the frame splits into two is gone; oil is all down my engine and all over the lower part of my bike. I must have rode for maby 5 minutes like that. when i got picked up in my buddies truck i drained what was left in the crankcase to see if i had any oil left, there was maby 1/4 cup oil in there. So what my question is how screwed am I. You read about things like this and you never expect it to happen to you. :thumbsup:

IMO, you caught it just in time. As long as some oil drainned you should be alright. If you ran it completely dry I would be much more worried.

Fill it with oil and see if it rattles. The oil drain bolt in the frame tends to fall out once the threads start to wear. I replace mine once a year. (Mine fell out too).

I was hopeing all i would have to do is fill it with oil and make sure it runs right, bike still ran strong with pretty much no oil in the engine. Thanks.

Had the same thing happen to my with my '02 426 after the first oil change. Man was I blue.

It ran for ~15 with _no_ oil until it siezed the piston.

If you're really paranoid you can pull the head and check for scoring on the cylinder wall. You may have a little more blow-by now then you did before. A new set of rings & cylinder honing would be <$100.

- Ryan

bike still ran strong with pretty much no oil in the engine

Hmm, yeah. Mine ran better with no oil .... and then it died.

IMO, you caught it just in time. As long as some oil drainned you should be alright. If you ran it completely dry I would be much more worried.
I agree that he caught it in time, but not for the reason stated here.

Simply, it was still running. Fill it with fresh oil and hope for the best. I wish you luck. Remember, there is only one reason that a drain bolts backs out.

But the bike was run completely dry if the frame bolt was gone. All of the feed oil supply is in the frame. The oil in the crankcase is simply the stuff that the return pump couldn't scrape up and send back to the tank, and it does no good being in there, because it lubes nothing.

Is your take on this the same as mine??? Drain bolts only back out if improperly torqued?

What's the name of that dog again? Bingo! :thumbsup:

I started this thread a couple of days ago, about my bike losing the oil drain plug and running my bike with almost no oil. I just cleaned her all up put fresh oil in and started first kick :thumbsup: Glad i bought a Yamaha bullet proof even with no oil in it lol. :thumbsup: