HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jickimojo

XR650L Wiring modification issues

6 posts in this topic

Ok so I have stripped the harness out of this pig and am going with small toggle switches under the left side of the seat.

I have the main power hooked up and the starter working good.

My question is that it seems that the igintion is not getting juice.

Has anyone done this and done away with the resistors and diodes.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Billy

Ok so I have stripped the harness out of this pig and am going with small toggle switches under the left side of the seat.

I have the main power hooked up and the starter working good.

My question is that it seems that the igintion is not getting juice.

Has anyone done this and done away with the resistors and diodes.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Billy

I removed all warning lights and replaced the factory ignition switch last year.

The key is to go wire by wire removing un-wanted things and testing after each wire removed. If you try to do too much hacking at once, you will end up with a bike that doesn't run.

Go back to the drawing board if it isn't too late,

MGS

YA gotta make sure all your safeties are in order. Neutral, clutch, side stand, and kill switch.

When ya figure out how to bypass all of them please let me know!

YA gotta make sure all your safeties are in order. Neutral, clutch, side stand, and kill switch.

When ya figure out how to bypass all of them please let me know!

On or off-topic depending on your point of view, but here's a photo of how to bypass all the aforementioned safetys as asked in the attached post. This picture isn't mine. It came from a knowledgable guy that goes by "sixpepper" over at the xrlugger (Yahoo!) site for the XRL. :thumbsup:

kickstandswitchbypass.jpg

Remove the seat & expose this green gang plug. Unplug it and join the green and the green w/wht stripe wires together, reconnect the plug and your done. All, and I mean all, safetys (not kill) are bypassed since this grounds & completes the entire neutral, clutch & sidestand circuits. Exactly what's needed for serious off-roading. Don't want those friggin' switches failing in the middle of nowhere. :bonk:

The beauty of this is you can "undo" it and the side stand idiot still lights up. Just make sure to study the photo carelfully. Don't ask me why it works, I just know it does... :thumbsup:

Good luck.

Great post that would take care of it if I was leaving all of the rest of the harness in place. I have modified my bike to a stripped down street motard and have made a box to house the battery and electrics under the seat and ontop of the dual exhaust.

I am mounting three toggles under the left seat on the top fame rail using a mount I made that bolts to the old front airbox mounts Ill post pics later. I have stripped everything off the front end but throttle, clutch, front brake master, and two projector fog lamps on a mount I made that bolts to the spedo horizontal mounts on the riders left of the upper tripple.

I really need some one with an intimate knowledge of the harness and the cdi to make sure I have all the loops either deleted or closed. :thumbsup:

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction of getting it down to the bare esentials to make it run. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jick