Should I fear the 450?

Hey guys, tossing the idea of getting a new 450. I've been on my 01' WR 250 for 5 years now (all mods, etc) The guys I ride with are all on 450s and pretty much leave me when desert riding. (I can keep up better on forest trails) Partly due to them being better riders but I'm no squid!! I find myself always in the high RPM range and seems I have to constantly upshift/downshift to keep in the power range. Other groups I ride with I'm leading or close to the front of the group.

The question I have is should I fear the power of the 450?? Mostly ride trails and desert. Anyone else make this switch??

Thanks, Chris

Truthfully, except for the little added weight, the 450 is easier to ride than the 250 because the motor is so broad and forgiving. You can literally leave it is 3rd gear and ride a track all day. As your skills develope so will your throttle twisting limits!

if you have a hard time controlling your right wrist, yes ...

i went from not riding at all for 7-8 years to a yz426f, and have no problem with the power ... the more i twist the throttle the more it happens ...

the only downside i´ve found is that the bike tires me out faster than a 125/250cc 2 stroke bike ..

but thats just my physics ... ??

the only downside i´ve found is that the bike tires me out faster than a 125/250cc 2 stroke bike ..

but thats just my physics ... ??

That is where the new '06 YZ450 really shines! It will still wear you out more than 2 smoke but it is the easiest 450 to ride hard for longest. Sooooo much difference between the '06 and '05, let alone an '01 or '02.

Go the 450, you won't look back. It is lighter than your old WR250 too!!! :bonk:

The YZ450, as powerful as it is, is easily controlled and very smooth an predictable. If you want a little more, you turn it up a little more, an you get a little more. And there's almost always more available, or so it seems.

CR500's, OTOH, should be feared as the beasts from hell that they are. Did you know all the serial numbers have 3 sixes in them? ?

JK ?

Do the 450's really wear you out more than a 250 smoker? I can ride my 06 YZ450F with less effort than my 05 YZ250(two-stroke). Less clutching, less rear tire spin, just less effort in general. I've heard differing opinions on this, but I can definitely ride my 450 faster with less effort than my two-stroke 250.

Do the 450's really wear you out more than a 250 smoker? I can ride my 06 YZ450F with less effort than my 05 YZ250(two-stroke). Less clutching, less rear tire spin, just less effort in general. I've heard differing opinions on this, but I can definitely ride my 450 faster with less effort than my two-stroke 250.

I think you'll find many different opinions on this. It's all about rider technique and style. They are different bikes and require different inputs to do the same things. If you try to ride one like the other, either one will beat you up and spit you out.

I am a high desert junkie. I've ridden a number of 250F's out at Jawbone, Cal City, etc.... I find myself riding over my head in order to keep up with the big bikes. I've got to wring every last ounce of power from these bikes and still have no chance of keeping up.

There is nothing like exploding a wide sandy berm in 3rd, pulling the trigger and lofting the front end through 3rd and 4th as the mayhem happens behind you. I would not want to be on the receiving end of the roost getting thrown in this situation. In the dez, there's no replacement for displacement!

Just be sure your mentally capable out there. Washouts and mineshafts come up awfully fast when you're stroking a 450 through its paces. Once you're comfy on that beast your WR will collect dust faster than an air purifier.

I am a high desert junkie. I've ridden a number of 250F's out at Jawbone, Cal City, etc.... I find myself riding over my head in order to keep up with the big bikes. I've got to wring every last ounce of power from these bikes and still have no chance of keeping up.

There is nothing like exploding a wide sandy berm in 3rd, pulling the trigger and lofting the front end through 3rd and 4th as the mayhem happens behind you. I would not want to be on the receiving end of the roost getting thrown in this situation. In the dez, there's no replacement for displacement!

Just be sure your mentally capable out there. Washouts and mineshafts come up awfully fast when you're stroking a 450 through its paces. Once you're comfy on that beast your WR will collect dust faster than an air purifier.

Thats what my experience has been! Now I just need to find some cash. I plan on keeping the 250F for riding in the summer (green sticker).

Thanks pincushion it's good to hear that I'm not just looking for excuses, but that someone else out there see's things the wy I do.