Turn Signal/Indicator Query

Hi there!

I know that some of you have dual sport/supermoto converted your bikes, so I was wondering if you'd know anything about the type of flasher relay I need to install if I'm to make some indicators/turn signals work?

I'm not trying to install LED ones, (because I'm unsure how they'll perform in a flashing circuit under AC voltage) just old fashioned bulbs.

I've seen 2 or 3 wire multi purpose flasher relays for sale but can't find any schematic information on them or how they perform in a circuit, let alone an AC one. I'm no muppet, just unfamiliar with these relays and AC circuits on bikes.

So if you can shed any light (if you pardon the pun!) I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Bogieknight ?

?

Im unsure if it works with bulbs but it would be pretty easy to find out.. I hear they are making a USB model soon that can take downloads for even more flashing patterns..

There is a stock pattern that you can change while riding in about 2 sec -

(quickly click forward then left or right 2 times on the controller switch for trick patterns & 3 times for stock pattern..)

Its pretty cool & very unique..

Mike

A standar Tricor 552 (~$3.00) two terminal flasher will work fine. Hook 12 volts (ac or dc doesn't matter) to the terminal marked "x". Hook the the turn signal switch to the terminal marked "L". Hook one side of the turn signal bulb to the switch and the other to ground.

Hey I tried to do this this weekend on a 00 wr400 everything went great and I wired the turn signal like PBDBLUE said but the turn signal comes on but dont flash tried another flasher same result everything else works great. HELP!!

Hmmm..... What kind of bulbs do your turn signals have? The standard generic turn signal flasher requires a load to make it flash and won't work with LED's or other low current bulbs. Also did you try reversing the connections on the flasher module? If it's connected backwards it will not blink.

Did you try it with your bike running at a high rpm. Most of the time mine wont work unless I have the bike at a slightly higher rpm than idol. Until i ride it for a bit to boost the charge to the small battery then its fine all day. I run a LED tailight and reg. bulb blinkers. Also, Baja designs has full scamadics of their wiring kits for the dual sports on their website. It might not be the exact same as your set up but might give you some sort of direction. Also. They have come out with an updated signal assembly. I have it and it was $100 with the conversion loom. Check it out, its push to cancel turn signal system, kill switch, horn, bright on and off, and more. Its awesome. Heres the pics. Hope this helps.

9.jpg

Taillight is LED and Baja Designs makes it. Amber color carbon fiber blinkers are Reg. 12 volt bulbs. This seems to be the best set up for me. LED taillight and Reg flashing bulbs.

12.jpg

New controller front view

13.jpg

New controller top view

Did you try it with your bike running at a high rpm. Most of the time mine wont work unless I have the bike at a slightly higher rpm than idol. Until i ride it for a bit to boost the charge to the small battery then its fine all day. I run a LED tailight and reg. bulb blinkers. Also, Baja designs has full scamadics of their wiring kits for the dual sports on their website. It might not be the exact same as your set up but might give you some sort of direction. Also. They have come out with an updated signal assembly. I have it and it was $100 with the conversion loom. Check it out, its push to cancel turn signal system, kill switch, horn, bright on and off, and more. Its awesome. Heres the pics. Hope this helps.

9.jpg

Taillight is LED and Baja Designs makes it. Amber color carbon fiber blinkers are Reg. 12 volt bulbs. This seems to be the best set up for me. LED taillight and Reg flashing bulbs.

12.jpg

New controller front view

13.jpg

New controller top view

I am thinking of doing my own dual sport and was wondering if a turn signal assembly off another bike would work on the WR. Like if I were to buy one for a DRZ 400s from OEM thumpertalk for 58$ and use it on my wr. Would that at least be a step in the right direction? I really want to save as much money as I can, but still want a street legal bike. I will buy the Trick kit if need be, but 550$ seems a little high to me.

Cheaper yet use the WR taillight and just add a couple of turn signals. The stock taillight is pre-wired for the brakelight. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the schematic to wire it up. What WR do you have (400/426 or 450)?

Jcor, take PBDBLUE's advice or you could also check out Baja designs, I think you can get a kit for a lot less than that. If you really want to save, download a scamatic and buy your own components and build your own wiring loom. its pretty easy if you have a scamatic to go off. If you are going to buy a kit from another bike, you will for sure be changing plugs and rerouting stuff to work correctly. Save the headache and build it yourself of buy it for your bike only. Check ebay for kits. I just like baja designs kits better cause of all the plug and play options.. Good luck......?

Oh yeah, watch out for proper stator output levels if you must buy a kit from another bike. Can cause lots of problems with batterys etc. if not done correctly. For instance, my 99wr400 cant take any aftermarket headlight over 35watts without a 2000wr426 stator upgrade or over time will continuously rob my battery and kill it. also causing strobing at low rpms etc. Be careful with a kit from another bike. If you must, check all the statistics and output levels and make sure they match!!! ?

Cheaper yet use the WR taillight and just add a couple of turn signals. The stock taillight is pre-wired for the brakelight. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the schematic to wire it up. What WR do you have (400/426 or 450)?

Thanks for the halp guys, will I be able to wire a horn in also? I am going to PM you right now. Oh yeah, I have an '06 450.