Can a YZ450 work offroad in the woods?

Anyone out there using a YZ450 in the woods? Any luck?

I am getting back into riding and I would like a bike I can occasionally take to the mx track but I can still take on a woods ride without reliability and overheating issues. Some say the YZ450 may fit the bill...suggestions??

I will work fine. I do both track and woods with my '06 and I did it with my '04. IMO the new model with the 5 speed transmission is more versatile than the 4 speed for doing both type of riding with the same bike.

Hey Sprint, good to see you TT,

by adding mass to the crankshaft, you essentially 'smooth-out' the power delivery to the rear wheel and as an additional benefit, reduce the tendancy to stall in low speed corners. You would benefit quite a bit from one because 1st gear is so tall on the 4-speed 450.

If you end up buying that E-line stator it will have the same effect as a heavier flywheel. I think I'm going to invest in one this spring for my street-moto. ?

- Nick

Hey Sprint, good to see you TT,

by adding mass to the crankshaft, you essentially 'smooth-out' the power delivery to the rear wheel and as an additional benefit, reduce the tendancy to stall in low speed corners. You would benefit quite a bit from one because 1st gear is so tall on the 4-speed 450.

If you end up buying that E-line stator it will have the same effect as a heavier flywheel. I think I'm going to invest in one this spring for my street-moto. ?

- Nick

yeah im definitely hoping to pick up that stator this spring or summer

Anyone out there using a YZ450 in the woods? Any luck?

I am getting back into riding and I would like a bike I can occasionally take to the mx track but I can still take on a woods ride without reliability and overheating issues. Some say the YZ450 may fit the bill...suggestions??

IMO, the YZ 450 is the best motocross bike that can be made into a woods bike. Once you combat the stalling issues the reliability of the bike is unmatched by the other brands. I went from a YZ 125 to a YZ 450 so I am already an animal with the clutch so stalling was not much of an issue for me. ?

what does this weighted flywheel everyone is talking about do for woods riding? I have an '03 450 and i ride woods a lot, but have never heard of upgrading the flywheel.

Yeah, that's where I ride mine. I added one tooth smaller front sprocket to get lower gearing, put a skid plate on, a Q muffler and a 2.8 Clarke tank.

It's a pretty good sled off road now. I just wish I had one more gear on top. Anyone got an extra 700$ laying around?

did the same on mine. Made a big differnce as far as the technical woods riding goes and I can still race it on the track and not run outta top gear. The 450 is good in the woods but you gotta know how to use the clutch. and I've never had a problem over heating and we do alot of slow nasty bush riding.

Yeah, that's where I ride mine. I added a tooth up front to get lower gearing, put a skid plate on, a Q muffler and a 2.8 Clarke tank.

I'm sure you meant one tooth smaller up front, but yeah did the same on mine. Made a big differnce as far as the technical woods riding goes and I can still race it on the track and not run outta top gear. The 450 is good in the woods but you gotta know how to use the clutch. and I've never had a problem over heating and we do alot of slow nasty bush riding.

Oh, yeah, that's a typo, I'll go edit that. It's one tooth smaller. I do overheat sometimes but we are are higher altitude so I added the turkey baster overflow which works well.

a yz 450f will work great off road, there are some pluses and minuses of course.

i personally run a steahly flywheel weight 10 oz,49 tooth rear gear,(48 tooth is stock)devol engineered suspension,devol rad guards,devol frame guards,acerbis hand guards,trailtech computer,maxxis it tires,x-ring chain,renthal alum. bars.

things i will be adding to the bike are, overflow bottle (stock wr or aftermarket, havent decided yet) fork sub tanks (aftermarket or home made, havent decided yet) etc...

problems i have encountered, will stall easily without flywheel weight,wayyyy too fast with stock gearing off road, small fuel tank, i have run out of fuel off road! stock suspension tends to be harsh,front tends to push,(not as bad as my 426 tho) will overheat(boil water) on tight clutch abusing trail sections,stock seat is very hard on the posterior for a whole day ride.

have fun great bike ?

Yeah, that's where I ride mine. I added one tooth smaller front sprocket to get lower gearing, put a skid plate on, a Q muffler and a 2.8 Clarke tank.

It's a pretty good sled off road now. I just wish I had one more gear on top. Anyone got an extra 700$ laying around?

How does your 450 run with that FMF Q pipe? I thought about getting the Q2 with the megabomb to make for quieter riding. Did you have to rejet? thanks

How does your 450 run with that FMF Q pipe? I thought about getting the Q2 with the megabomb to make for quieter riding. Did you have to rejet? thanks

It runs perfectly.

At WFO, its really not much quieter actually and I don't think it hurts the power at all. It still hauls ass.

Rejetting? I don't think you have to other than a FS adjustment. All I wanted from the Q was a spark arrestor so I could go in the Forest.