Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vintagethumper

XR problems?

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

As you can see from my signature, I'm usually at other areas of the TT site. But a good friend is wanting to buy a used XR 600 or 650, and asked me to help him. Questions are...

Are there problems with these bikes that he should look for when shopping for a used one?

Which bike would you recommend?

Thanks for you help!

And oh yea, do any of you know of a good one for sale? He's in New Mexico.

The 2000-2006 xr650r did not have any major problems. These bikes have not changed much at all over those years. I love my bike.

2000 xr650r plated

uncorked

fast

2000-2002 some bikes have leaky cs sprocket seal-cheap and easy to fix

also they changec lutch bushing sometimes in 02-cheap part-a little harder to fix

I agree some sprocket seal problems on those years, if you do not run synthetic you most likely will not even have that as a problem. The stock wheel /spoke sets are really weak, stock bars and are horrible. I would definently uncork it and then enjoy it, it is a great bike. Precision Concepts in El Cajon, CA. has everything that you would ever need to make the bike all it can be, very nice people too..

I bought a used XR600r about 5 years ago, & love it ! Just change oil often. The only thing I'm not used to ( & because I always rode old bikes with dual shocks in rear) Is the maintanence of rebuilding shock & forks. And probably depends on your needs (racing etc...) And I suppose all the bikes within 15 years old would be the same. The only thing on the XR600r, is the choke plate can get sucked in the engine. So it is a must to get rid of plate!!! Get after market choke plate or a different carb. My .02. Good luck ! :thumbsup:

you neglected to say what your friend wants to use the bike for ... if he wants a street-legal dirtbike, go with the XR650L, otherwise he will have to convert the XR600 or XR650R ... lots of riders do ... if he wants a go-fast dirtbike, definitely get the XR650R ... all are as dependable as anything made ... :thumbsup:

you neglected to say what your friend wants to use the bike for ... if he wants a street-legal dirtbike, go with the XR650L, otherwise he will have to convert the XR600 or XR650R ... lots of riders do ... if he wants a go-fast dirtbike, definitely get the XR650R ... all are as dependable as anything made ... :thumbsup:

Good question! He wants to do a few things. Off- road would be a lot of the wide open territory found in New Mexico. But he also wants to get a set of extra wheels and be able to convert it to a street legal Super Moto style bike. Sounds to me like it would get ridden pretty hard.

I purchased a92 XR600r a couple months ago, and really like it. I was wondering what type of new carb you reccomend, or how to go about fixing the factory one??????also how often do I change the oil, and what type(brand)is best