Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
santacruzr

06' or 07' Should I Wait?????

10 posts in this topic

I read somewhere the 07' WR is gonna have an aluminum frame....which would somehow help lower the center of gravity...I can wait, but I don't want to...all my buddies are bugging me to get the 450x.....

The '07 should really rock! read about the improvements that the '06 YZ450 has over the '05 YZ450 and you will get the idea of what we are in for.

Get a 450x if you want to do a motorcycle mechanic apprenticeship. You know about the 250x compared to the wr250 maintenance wise. If you have had no problems, sweet.

Just read the threads, we argue over pitty crap here, Honda owner's worry about their valves, gearboxes and other major stuff.

An aluminum framed WR in '07 is just an assumption at this point...a good assumption based on Yamaha 's past history, but an assumption nonetheless. The 450X it seems, is hit and miss at best when it comes to reliability issues. I've heard of just a few valve train complaints, but the whole self-welding transmission problem is something that is becoming a common gripe rather than mere coincidence. The R&D that went into the 450X seems to have been a bit rushed in order to compete with the WR and MXC/EXC, much like the 250/450R was rushed to compete with the YZF back in the late 90's...can you say 15-hour top end rebuilds? There's no doubt that Honda made a very competitive bike, but it requires so much TLC that it detracts from the performance. Personally, I like knowing that my bike isn't going to grenade on me when I'm out riding, just because I put 50cc's too little oil in it. If we were talking about XR's that would be a different story, but you're not looking at buying a BRP now are you?...SC

No one knows what 07 will bring. Yamaha usually waits until late in the year to release specs on next years model. If they do make substantial changes for next year you can bet the price will go up. As Matty said, remember the maintenance factor between the two bikes.

Do you research, double check the facts, look at the after you buy mods, and then make the intelligent decision like the rest of us have done.

Though not a 450, a friend has a CRF250X & adjusting the valves every 12 hours is B.S. I hear the 450 is similar, if you go longer than the 12 hr my friends bike the valves appear to be stretching, every 12 hrs or so the adj is so tight that the bike will not start.. Looks like now he has to R&R the valves on a 2 yr old bike. Like the above statement if you want to begin a motocycle mechanic appreticeship buy a Honda.

Hi

I see you have a few bikes already and the next is either a CRF or WR, right? Your first big bore thumper?

I read somewhere the 07' WR is gonna have an aluminum frame....which would somehow help lower the center of gravity...I can wait, but I don't want to...all my buddies are bugging me to get the 450x.....

Well, your buddies proabably want to enlist your help with their impending mechanical work! I'm sure you've browsed the CRF threads vs. those in the WR forum - no comparison. The WR owners argue over nif naf and talk about fine tuning an already PROVEN bike, especially the 05/06 WRs. Yeah, you may wait and get an alloy frame in 07, but Enduro bike manufacturers tend to hang on to steel frames - dont need the rigitity offered by the aluminium. IMO, marketing will force Alu to come in though, possibly 07 on the WR (Honda vs Yamaha War has been a long fought battle). Also, EFI is trickling in and in use on some bikes (Gas Gas I think). It is a matter of time and regulations (emission controls) and possibly souring fuel prices that may spur manufacturers to go with EFI - most sports bikes have gone this way. Give it a few years and we will see EFI on most Jap bikes.

I moved from 2 smokes (owned both Honda and Yamaha - not much between them) and would honestly be somewhat sceptical about a CRF purchase with the reported problems that CRF owners seem to face. I looked closely at the WR vs KTM. It came down to price and dealer support.

Just my .02 worth.

Cheers

Colin

-----

06 WR 450F

I plan to replace my 03 with an 07 if they come out with the aluminum frame. I cant believe the difference in the two bikes between my WR and my 06 YZ. The YZ is a better handling bike all around with the exception of being too tall geared for trail riding. I don't know the exact weight difference but the YZ just feels lighter and more maneuverable.