Proceedure for oil change on XR650l

What is the proceedure to chane the oil on the XR650L? Do I just remove the bolt at the bottom of the frame and drain there or is there another place to drain oil? How much does it hold also?

Thanks

a new used XR659L owner.

I have an '87 XL600R, which is pretty much the same as the XR650L. It might be a little different, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's how I do it:

1. Remove the skid plate and drain the oil out of the frame by removing the drain plug. It's the same bolt that holds the skid plate to the down tube of the bike frame.

2. Disconnect the main feed hose from the bottom of the frame. Remove the connector at the bottom of the frame. It has an oil screen built in to it. Make sure that is clean.

3. Re-install the connector with drain screen and re connect the oil hose. Put the plug back in the frame down tube

4. By the shift lever there is a oil plug, unscrew that plug that and drain the oil. Do this while the bike is on the kick stand.

5. After draining, re-install the oil plug by the shifter.

6. Pour 1.5 Quarts of oil in the fill hole near top of the gas tank and then screw the dipstick back in.

7. Start the bike and let it run for a minute or two to circulate the oil.

8. Put about 1 more quart (or whatever it takes) to get the oil level on the dipstick to the proper level.

If you need to change the oil filter, it is in a circular compartment on the right side of the engine, near the base of the cylinder. It has three bolts. Loosen the three bolts pull off the cap, and the filter is right there, don't lose the spring. Pay particular attention to make sure you put the new filter in oriented the right way.

It's also a good idea to change the oil when the engine is war. Gats more crud out and the pil drains quicker. Downside, it's hot!

I have an '87 XL600R, which is pretty much the same as the XR650L. It might be a little different, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's how I do it:

1. Remove the skid plate and drain the oil out of the frame by removing the drain plug. It's the same bolt that holds the skid plate to the down tube of the bike frame.

2. Disconnect the main feed hose from the bottom of the frame. Remove the connector at the bottom of the frame. It has an oil screen built in to it. Make sure that is clean.

3. Re-install the connector with drain screen and re connect the oil hose. Put the plug back in the frame down tube

4. By the shift lever there is a oil plug, unscrew that plug that and drain the oil. Do this while the bike is on the kick stand.

5. After draining, re-install the oil plug by the shifter.

6. Pour 1.5 Quarts of oil in the fill hole near top of the gas tank and then screw the dipstick back in.

7. Start the bike and let it run for a minute or two to circulate the oil.

8. Put about 1 more quart (or whatever it takes) to get the oil level on the dipstick to the proper level.

pretty close, L's dont have skid plates so scratch that. you forgot the whole part about taking out the drain plug on the frame tube.....put your pan right up to the front tire, it really squirts.

pretty close, L's dont have skid plates so scratch that. you forgot the whole part about taking out the drain plug on the frame tube.....put your pan right up to the front tire, it really squirts.

My '87 XL600R has a skid plate. So I didn't forget, on my XL600R, the skid plate connection is also the frame tube drain. Didn't know that they didn't put that on the newer XR650L's, sorry.

My '87 XL600R has a skid plate. So I didn't forget, on my XL600R, the skid plate connection is also the frame tube drain. Didn't know that they didn't put that on the newer XR650L's, sorry.

Don't be sorry! My XR650L is a 2001 and it has a skid plate; although it didn't come from the factory that way I did buy it that way (used).

The L takes 1.9 quarts, (I think), without a filter and slightly more than 2 quarts with the filter. I usually put a little more in. You should be able to get a quart in before you have to start it up for a few seconds. Put in the second quart and ride it around until it's good and hot. Shut it off and check the level on the dipstick without screwing it in and with the bike straight up and down.

Add some if needed. Pay close attention to how long it takes to check from the time you shut off the motor. You will be able to add oil until the cows come home with the engine off and it will still not read full. All motors will have a different rate of oil seep-back so keep the time checked the same for every measurement, also oil temp.

If you need to change the oil filter, it is in a circular compartment on the right side of the engine, near the base of the cylinder. It has three bolts. Loosen the three bolts pull off the cap, and the filter is right there, don't lose the spring. Pay particular attention to make sure you put the new filter in oriented the right way.

It's also a good idea to change the oil when the engine is war. Gats more crud out and the pil drains quicker. Downside, it's hot!

so does this mean that you don't change the filter everytime you change the oil?

how often do you or should you chnge the filter on an 'L' and how often is everyone changing their oil on an 'L'

sorry for the newb questions,.......first time thumper owner here

anybody?

Bueller?

I change my oil and filter about every 1000 kms. Thats every 600 miles for ya'all south of the 49th. Filters are cheap, so why not! Also I use a synthetic oil. A little more money, but I too love my L.

Watch for overfilling. Easy to do on these bikes. I always check the dip stick right after I turn it off, which still isn't good enough sometimes. Buy a repair manual, read it and watch carefully how much you put in. The upper oil tank(frame tank) and the engine both hold oil, and sometimes the check valve between them doesn't work so well. You can replace them, and it's not a bad idea if the bike has some miles on it or is of some age!

My two bits!

Peace--Rick

'01-xr650L lots of mods!

bump.......still looking for anyone who can point me in the right direction on frequency of oil change vs filter change......

a little help?

It depends on where you ride it. If I were to change my oil every 500 miles, I'd be changing it every other week. If it were 500 dirt miles it would be a good interval, but not on the street. There is a report on oils saying the most breakdown occurs in the first 800 miles, then levels off. If I recall it's at bobstheoilguy.com. I feel filters can generally work for longer than the oil, depends on the riding conditions as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this thread while looking for the oil capacity.

FYI: I change my oil every couple of months or every thousand miles, whichever is first. I change the OEM filter every time as well. They're so cheap and it's so easy - why not? Just now when I drained it, the oil looked nice and honey. When I pulled out the filter, the oil dripping off it was dirty. Good thing I changed it.

Also RE: oil level. One reason I change it often is because I can never get an accurate reading! I usually put in 2.1-2.2 quarts. Make sure you crank it a bit before adding the second quart or it will spew out the top!

Brian

• 7 months later...

3. Re-install the connector with drain screen and re connect the oil hose. Put the plug back in the frame down tube.

Anyone care to elaborate on where exactly this is? I see 2 hoses that i think might be it. Is it the smaller one that is directly underneath the drain plug on the front/center portion of the engine?? If so, where is the screen? :devil:

What am i looking for? Just checking to make sure the screen is clean and there is no debris in there?

Thanks for helping with the questions, about my new bike! I am about to do my first oil change on my 650L and dont have my factory manual yet!

Thanks a bunch