XR 650R Carburetor

I just brought my bike into the repair shop and they broke off a screw in the carburetor. They said they don't want to take the chance on ruining anything else so the said to shop for a used carburetor just in case when they try to drill it out they have a back up carb. Anybody out there ever have this happen and what was the fix?

Bring it to another shop.

I would tell him that HE better shop for a new job and a new car, just in case both disappeared on him if he didn't make it right.

Get your bike back immediately, and take a HUGE discount on the services they rendered. With a little patience you can get the broken screw out. If not let me know, I'll sell you my stock 650R carb for very cheap.

Kirk,

Tell em' thanks but no thanks....they or you can take it to any competent machinist and have it removed for a minimal fee. I can't even guess how many broken taps and bolts I've removed over the years.

If they haven't fooled with it (hopefully) a machinist can indicate/locate the center of the screw on a milling machine and center drill it>drill it out>clean up the threads> and your good to go.

The worst case is that it will need a helicoil inserted...no big deal.

If no luck...mail it to me.

Mechanics that know what they are doing and that are professional enough to pay for their mistakes. They broke it, tell them to figure it out.

...what was the fix?

They broke it, They fix it....Thats how any good shop should operate on somethin like that...TMHO.... :thumbsup:

Kirk,

Tell em' thanks but no thanks....they or you can take it to any competent machinist and have it removed for a minimal fee. I can't even guess how many broken taps and bolts I've removed over the years.

If they haven't fooled with it (hopefully) a machinist can indicate/locate the center of the screw on a milling machine and center drill it>drill it out>clean up the threads> and your good to go.

The worst case is that it will need a helicoil inserted...no big deal.

If no luck...mail it to me.

EXACTLY!! This should have been done without them even mentioning it to you.

I also feel it is their responsibility to have it removed, they broke it. Unless there was some understanding between you and the shop before the removal was attempted.