Chain Lube

I have a KTM 200 with DID X-ring chain. It was ridden every weekend in sugar sand from 98 until I bought my 250F (still gets ridden occasionally). All I ever did was apply WD-40 before each ride and after each wash. It is still within tolerance for wear and works great.

HI ALL

WELL CALL ME A CHAEP SKATE IF YOU MUST .

ALL I DO AFTER JET WASHING (SIN) THE BIKE IS TO REMOVE THE CHAIN , IF ITS REALLY GUNKY

I SOAK IT FOR A DAY IN KEROSINE/OIL (80/20).

IF ITS CLEAN AFTER WASHING I JUST SOAK IT

IN OIL . A FEW HOURS BEFORE MY NEXT RIDE I HANG IT UP TO DRAIN OFF BEFORE FITTING.

WELL THE THING IS ITS ONLY THE OLD OIL FROM THE MOTOR OIL CHANGES (RECYCLING THEY CALL IT)BELRAY EXP 10/40.

THE BIKES NOW DONE 1200 MILES AND I'VE ONLY HAD TO ADJUST THE CHAIN ONCE .AS YOU KNOW THE NEW CHAIN MEASURES 150MM ACCROSS 10 LINKS ,

MINE NOW MEASURES 154MM SO ITS NOT STRETCHED MUCH.

I USED TO GET REALLY PISSED OFF WITH ROCK OIL

CHAIN LUBE SPLATTERING EVERYWHERE ON PREVIOUS

BIKES, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF WHAT I DO IS RIGHT

BUT I RECON IF THE OILS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE MOTOR ITS SURE AS HELL GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE CHAIN........GIVE IT A TRY.

AND MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN

JOHN

PORTSMOUTH , ENGLAND

A few years ago I talked with a rep from Tsubaki. He told me that all o-ring chains need is a light lubricant to keep the metal from rusting and to lubricate the o rings. He recommended Silkolene which is basically a silicone spray. The pin lube stays sealed in as long as the o rings stay in good shape.

Woody

I have been using A1 sauce for the last three years, works great and it doesn't taste bad either.

I'd like to ride behind you some time - mmmm.

errrm yeah.... nothing like a bit of WD-40 on the ole sausage in bread :)

I'm really surprised at the amount of of riders using the trusty ole WD-40!

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Curtis.

[This message has been edited by WR400inOZ (edited September 30, 2001).]

I use castrol chain oil. Seems to really penetrate but picks up a lot of crap in dusty conditions. Generally soak chain in kero after a few rides to clean it up. I too have used a bit of WD-40 in the past but I've found the castrol stuff to give better chain life.