Chain Lube

I've tried a number of different chain lubes on the market, but am hard pressed to find one that seems to last any decent amount of time when riding.

The chain is always bone dry and clanky after each ride with absolutely no evidence of chain lube sticking around to help keep things lubed? I usually put it on a few days before a ride. Is this normal or is there a particular brand out there that seems to do a better job?

[This message has been edited by WR400inOZ (edited September 18, 2001).]

If you are running an o-ring chain you are best off to lube it with wd-40 after you wash it. It will keep it from rusting and be an easy lube on the o-rings. Chain lubes let all the dirt stick to your chain and eat up the o-rings and sprockets. Sure they are better than wd-40 on a standard chain, but you're best off not running any if you have an o-ring(you're nuts not to).

PJ1 chain wax, although the WD40 and O-ring chains is correct. O-ring chains (supposedly) has lubricant internal to the chain, hence the O-ring.

The PJ1 is essentially a dry lubricant, and will not collect dirt. I use it as my cable lube.

------------------

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

What is important, is that the chain is lubricated in the inside (of the rolls).

I don't recomend WD40, it's a wonderfull product......but not to lube a chain. WD40 is way to thin to support the huge pressures on the rolls. A good chain lube is very fluid when applied, so it can penetrate into the rolls and after the solvents evaporates it has to become quiet thick, to prevent metal on metal contact as much as possible, but not too sticky, to prevent dirt to stick on the chain.

Some chain lubes also contain EP additives, as used in gear oils.

Try out.

I just installed a new O-Ring chain, and after reading the box and the Yamaha manual I have decided to just brush on 10w-30 with a paintbrush after each wash. Both warn against sprays that have solvents that can damage the O-Rings. I found the wax just painted my chain white but did not seem to lube well.

I don't lube my o-ring chain at all. I stopped lubing it after my trip to Bills in April. I cna't stand messy chain lube so I stopped doing it. I have over 1,300 miles since it's last lube. It looks good enough to me. I am not suggesting this for liability reasons ?, it's just one thing less to worry about. I am sure that those who have seen my ride aren't suprised.

------------------

01 426 "sewing machine"

Custom cracked headlight:

Custom bent and twisted header pipe:Custom repaired break lever:custom repaired clutch lever: Custom dented moose skid plate: Custom dented frame: Custom scuffed side number plates: Custom scuffed front and rear fenders: Custom stock jetting: Custom vortip: Custom stickers

Tri-Flow before every ride.

It has a teflon additive for lubrication, and is O-ring safe. Plus it doesn't attract dirt as much like most of the other lubes, and any small overspray on the wheels/swingarm/etc. wipes right off. After lubing the chain, I wipe off the excess with a shop towel. The chain always looks like new (no gunk build-up) after lubing it. I've been using it for years, and haven't had any problem with premature wear.

And *Mike68*, you are hardcore man!!! I have a buddy that you need to meet. He does the same thing on his FZR 600 street bike. Lubes the chain about every other year! Scary...

I clean my o-ring chain with kerosene and blow dry it using a air hose. The air hose helps to dislodge stuff that may get stuck on it. Then I apply a good chain lube. I follow the recommendations of Yamaha and even use their chain lube or comperable OEM brand. So far I am still on the original chain. No excessive sproket wear et cetera. I have been amazed at how long my stock chain has lasted. Good luck. P

WD-40 is perfumed KEROSENE. Not the best thing to lube a chain with an oil-based solvent. Kerosene is a great cleaner though, as long as you blow the excess off of the chain before you use a good quality chain lube( I really like Maxima Chain Wax). And remember the cardinal rules for chain maintenance is "adjust cold, lube warm" and "better too loose than too tight". ?

------------------

Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin, Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

WD-40 doesnt contain any kerosene whatsoever!

Straight from their website:

"WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents".

Ever wondered what it stood for?

"WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt."

I just learnt that too ?

I think maybe the original formula of WD-40 was based on kerosene. I had always heard that it was. I read somewhere recently that they use mineral spirits because kerosene is too dirty. Also, I believe that the formulation involves some amount of light lubricant. I think the original purpose for WD-40 is in marine (salt water) corrosion prevention applications. I'd also bet that they have changed the formula from time to time (remember the big Coke/Classic Coke scandal). Maybe it's really WD-48 or something now. ?

It's all I'm using on my o-ring chain right now. I just got tired of wax everywhere and the cleaning involved (and my chain never looked clean). I'm going to find out for myself if anything more is really needed. After about 500 miles so far, I can't see any excessive wear or sticking. Maybe I'll also give the Tri-flow a try.

The proof's in the pudding. I use WD-40 before each Sunday's ride. I'm on my second chain in two years and I ride in sand every weekend. The only reason I HAD to replace my chain was that my rear sprocket was about to give up the ghost and it made no sense to replace a sprocket without replacing the chain. I do notice that if I don't lube my chain every week, it gets a light coating of surface rust on it. That's what I'm most concerned about when I lube the chain. WD-40 works for me.