HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anyhunt

sticking throttle new question

6 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 wr400 the bike had been running flawlessly until it was parked for 2 months now when I let off the throttle it runs fast for a while then returns to idle. I have checked the main and pilot jets clean as a whistle, checked for binding at the grips checked the cables and they are fine.

Also if I blip the throttle it will instantly return to idle. The valve clearances have been checked recently and are within spec. Air filter is clean blah blah blah is there something I am missing besides pulling the carb and soaking it in cleaner and blowing it out. :thumbsup:

Check the air screw at bottom of carb. Try 1 1/2 turns out. Also check to see if the slide plate is cracked - common on the early 400's

will the fuel screw move on its own? In order to check that plate is it in the book thanks for your help

Also check your throttle cable. They are notorious for fraying at the carb end.

Thanks for the help spent all day removed the carb pulled it all apart and cleaned it. checked the cables again put it back together and it doesn't seem to do it anymore ( about 30 min of riding w/o problems ) this place rocks with such a wealth of knowledge and experience. Thanks :thumbsup: