HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moongunner

XR650L Stock jet Question

20 posts in this topic

New to XRs. I Mostly commute I like the quietness of the stock muffler. Can I change the jetting or do some other mod to improve the performance and keep the stock quiet muffler or do I have to buy an aftermarket muffler. If so what is the quietest muffler. I'd love more of a deep rumble but I live in a crowded neighborhood. Also, I love looking down on ALL the bikes I come across, and going eyeball to eyeball with tall pick ups.

If you search the carb you will find a ton of info on it. There is alot of power in the 650 L that needs to be uncorked.

you can rejet with stock pipe, but you may not notice much. you really need to do 3 thrings to get more perf. out of your pig. you have a xr650l or 650r? im talking for the xr650l, first put in a uni filter or k@n(foam), second try the white bros e2 series silencer( i use this one ) it has a 96 decible spark arestor tip ( has a very nice deep thump & doesnt get very loud at higher rpm's), and finally cause now you will be very lean(as if stock wasnt lean enough) put in either a dynojet kit or follow somebodys home rejet instructions. there is a guy(dave i think) on this site that has a very good home rejet idea. or as myself and motosprtman have done is the dynojet kit. several on this site dont like this kit, but we can attest that we are VERY happy with its results. doing just the rejet will do almost nothing. then after these 3 things are done you can remove the snorkel, drill the slide(while doing a rejet) and you will be very pleased with the gains. good luck bro! :thumbsup:

Dave's carb mod' are still the best if you want the most out of the motor short of puting a better carb on the bike.

There's a bit of improvement with the std mods and leaving the stock muffler on- the gains are nice everywhere except at the top end. A small improvement on top, but not much.

It will breathe better with the baffle out, but its a bit loud and 'boomy'.

Some folks pull the baffle a build a downspout, others shorten the baffle by cutting some off (from the inside end).

Dave

I can't add anything other than to say I did all the Dave's mods and it's a different bike, much....much better. I have a White E Series (disc type) pipe with standard headers and really like the ability to adjust the discs. You need to open up the exhaust some way, aftermarket was my choice or you can modify stock.

I also modified the front fender to allow more air to flow to the oil resevoir (frame) and get more clear air to the engine (cut 6" off the front edge, holes in the rear). Wings removed. Result with all the mods is a much cooler oil temp/operating temp and wheel raising acceleration.

I plan on doing the Dave's mod to my 2006 XR650L. One thing I am not sure of, can I use the stock jets or do I need to change. If I need to change the jets, to what do I change them too.

I have removed and blocked the smog stuff, and just added a WB E2 pipe. The carb needs help. Has flat spots on low end.

I plan on doing the Dave's mod to my 2006 XR650L. One thing I am not sure of, can I use the stock jets or do I need to change. If I need to change the jets, to what do I change them too.

I have removed and blocked the smog stuff, and just added a WB E2 pipe. The carb needs help. Has flat spots on low end.

You will need to pick up a 55 and a 158 kehin jets.

I agree with goblin127 use the 55/158 combination for starters, shim the stock needle .025 (radio shack washer). I'm at 3800 feet elevation with snorkel gone, UNI filter and White Bros. E Series 6 discs and baffle. Smog gone too but that just eliminates backfire. Fuel screw out 2 1/2 turns.

excellent, that's exactly the kind of info I needed. Thanks guys. :thumbsup: And 1 more silly question. Is the snorkel the plastic cover on the TOP of the air box. Mine had 2 vent type holes on the top. And the cover was riveted on. I removed the whole cover.

Dave

06XRL

:thumbsup:

Moongunner,

I just finished doing this on my 06' "L" model and must dissagree that you CAN improve performance substantialy while retaining the stock pipe and quietness that your looking for. I do have a pipe on order and will make the changes needed to compansate for that.

My 06' "L" model ran so poorly I almost turned around and took it back to the dealer. After it warmed up it wasn't bad but I still wasn't impressed with the way it ran.

First I removed all the smog equipment and test rode it before moving on to the jetting. I removed the snorkel on top of the air box and test rode it again. It didn't like that much as it did run leaner as I expected. I then installed a 55 pilot, 162 main, shimmed the needle up and used the dyno-jet slide spring. I haven't reamed the slide holes....yet. It was an impressive improvement with enough "new" torque to launch the front wheel skyward under accelleration and again in second. The low rpm roll on test was also impressive with no flat spots or surging all the way into wide open throttle.

Summary:

My changes worked very well with the stock non modified pipe that is worth while doing. I will be installing the pipe when it arrives and I'll test ride it before making a jet change. I'm expecting that an increase to a 58-165 may be needed. At that time I will ream the slide holes and see how that performs.

good luck,

Yes, snorkel is the rivetted plastic cover, throw it in the lake. You may want to put some filtered hole vents in the seat bracing too. If you look under the seat the ribs come pretty close to the air opening. May not have any effect actually but it made me feel better and I heard someone else did it too.

I drilled some holes in the ribs, and it did help.

I imagine with an aftermarket exhaust you'd really want better airflow than just removing the snorkel.

Dave

Yes the snorkel is the plastic cover that is riveted on. Drill out the rivets and throw the plastic as far as you can. Then look under the seat and note the ribs that reinforce the base of the seat. I drilled holes in the cross braces (plastic) and incerted the little round filter thingies you can buy to open the cramped space under the seat a little more. I really don't know if the seat ribs restrict air flow but it looked pretty tight under there so drilling a few holes seemed like a reasonable idea.

Well, I did the carb mods and what a difference. I changed the jetting to a 55/158 and used the washer on the needle. To my surprise, the slide was already drilled. This is a 2006 XR650L. Did the factory drill the slide? I doubt the dealer did. Anyways, this bike is real fun to ride now. No flat spots and revs strong. Thanks for the tips.

Dave

Well, I did the carb mods and what a difference. I changed the jetting to a 55/158 and used the washer on the needle. To my surprise, the slide was already drilled. This is a 2006 XR650L. Did the factory drill the slide? I doubt the dealer did. Anyways, this bike is real fun to ride now. No flat spots and revs strong. Thanks for the tips.

Dave

Did you check the size of the holes?

There are 2 holes from the factory, and then the mod is to drill 'em out larger.

Dave

Did you check the size of the holes?

There are 2 holes from the factory, and then the mod is to drill 'em out larger.

Dave

O, I see, ha ha. I did not check the size. But I was wanting to teardown the carb again to change the jets anyways. I will check and drill.

Thanks for pointing out my total lack of reading the directions. :thumbsup:

Okay gents,

I have a question you all may or may not be able to answer.......

To set the stage i have a 2005 650L.

Smog off, K&N Air Filter, FMF Q-Pipe, "Daves Carb Mod", Shimmed .025", 55/160 jetting, the screw out 2 1/2 turns, and to wrap it all up the snorkel is removed.

Also i live at approx. 2,000ft.

Now for the newbie question, IS ALL THAT RIGHT? I mean it seams to run smooth, but this is my first motorcycle.

What are some things i can do to check and see if it needs further tweaking?

ANY advise would be great!!!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Okay gents,

I have a question you all may or may not be able to answer.......

To set the stage i have a 2005 650L.

Smog off, K&N Air Filter, FMF Q-Pipe, "Daves Carb Mod", Shimmed .025", 55/160 jetting, the screw out 2 1/2 turns, and to wrap it all up the snorkel is removed.

Also i live at approx. 2,000ft.

Now for the newbie question, IS ALL THAT RIGHT? I mean it seams to run smooth, but this is my first motorcycle.

What are some things i can do to check and see if it needs further tweaking?

ANY advise would be great!!!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Smooth running is a good sign.

Learn to read the plug. It will indicate a variety of conditions, including peace of mind. :thumbsup: