Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theclone

Grinding off header heat shield tabs?

13 posts in this topic

The header guard on my bike was extremely mangled, so I decided to just do away with it. Now I have those three mounting tabs sticking out. Is it safe to grind these off? Has anyone ever done this? The thing I'm worried about is accidentaly grinding a hole in the header.

We have done it a a few bikes! No big deal.just take your time and all will be good.We then "wrapped" the header with header tape and it looked fine! :thumbsup:

i used a 600 grit sand paper to smooth out the grinding marks, then used a finer grade paper to smooth it out, i then used jewelers rouge and a polishing wheel hooked to my bench grinder to polish the header. same process i used to polish the subframe (it was blue) the swingarm, clutch cover etc....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/fastbyfrank/10.jpg before....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/fastbyfrank/Picture010.jpg after...

:thumbsup:

Polishing becomes an obsession! The finer the grit, the higher the shine. Scratches have to be filed or ground out prior to polishing or the scratches will polish too.

i agree polishing is an obsession! i am an ex detailer and i polish everything! i have even polished all of the trim on my wells cargo trailer. :thumbsup:

The header looks sweet! I will be thinking of that or at least polising the heat sheild, but not sure if that will look good or not with an unpolished header. :thumbsup:

if my heat shield was not damaged i would have left it on there. it does serve a purpose, protecting the header and your leg, you could polish the header and the heat shield that would be trick! i dont think titanium is polishable or i would polish the header on my 04 yz450f. :thumbsup:

if my heat shield was not damaged i would have left it on there. it does serve a purpose, protecting the header and your leg, you could polish the header and the heat shield that would be trick! i dont think titanium is polishable or i would polish the header on my 04 yz450f. :thumbsup:

My heat shield was pretty badly mangled. Just one more question, you used a bench grinder to grind off the tabs, correct?

I also ground off the mounts with a bench grider...it took a little bit but i got er' done. Polishing the header wont stay shiny for long, as the heat will make it change colors. It look pretty kool though.