HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kawirider

Does a jet kit help a 4 stroke even if it is not acting up?

10 posts in this topic

I have finally managed to get my bike to run smoothly at all rpms. It goes from idle to the rev limiter without a hiccup, and when I let off at high rpm, it does not backfire. Would a jet kit still help my '03? What kind of differance could I expect?

If you suffer no symptoms, then no it wont help. If a kit offers custom needles then yes it could be better possibly. Performance will only be realized with knowledge, experimentation and patience. Jetting is a fine art. How much adjustment/changes did you have to make to accomplish this? Or is it stock?

My jetting was good, I thought. Then I got a JD Jetting Kit and it makes all the difference in the world. It revs like somebody lightened the flywheel. I'm impressed, so impressed that I bought one for my girly's 250F.

Supposedly, the j/d kit will improve even a finely tuned stock jetted bike, because the man who designed them, designs their shape to fit the ignition curve of the particular bike.

When I bought my 03 450 it ran good. It had the DRD pipe and extended fuel screw. No bog, ran out good.

But I still had the red needle from the 4xx kit and so I jetted the bike per JD kit instructions with the red needle. MAN, it felt like about another 4hp from the bike! It was a totally different animal!

Like Gray said, jetting may need to be updated from time to time. Also having a bike that is a bit rich may not have any bogs, but you may not be getting the max power out of it either.

And then the weather changes....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes that is one of my least favorite things about jetting

I didnt really change anything, I just put a fuel screw on it, and when I went out on a good day a couple weeks ago (70 degrees or so) it was acting perfect. Have not had a chance to ride it since. I dunno if it is stock or not because I have yet to dive into the carburator since I bought it a few months ago.

I have finally managed to get my bike to run smoothly at all rpms. It goes from idle to the rev limiter without a hiccup, and when I let off at high rpm, it does not backfire. Would a jet kit still help my '03? What kind of differance could I expect?

My 03 with the JD kit is simply.........awesome... :thumbsup: More power everywhere....but it does take patience to get it all right.... :thumbsup: