Riding stealthily at night?

I'm tempted...tempted to install a headlight/taillight kill switch with a small LED headlight for riding at night in areas that are technically not legal. ? These are public land areas that are away from homes; my riding would not disturb anyone. I would stay on the established trails and respect the land and the natural environment.

Any of you want to confess to stealth night riding? ? These immense nature areas are so beautiful and it's such a pity that they're closed off and patrolled at night. Or am I a jerk for thinking about doing this sort of thing? :bonk:

I guess I am getting mor esafety oriented in my old age. Make sure you have someone ride with you in case you get hurt. Thinking that if you carry a phone is okay is not going to do it if you get knocked out. Just a thought. Tony

I've done some stealth riding at night, although not on closed or illegal trails. In Vermont there are class IV roads that are public ROW's, but during the day you might find equestrians, hikers or mountain bikers on them... at night there was no one so I could ride fast (I was training for the Baja 1000 at the time). I discourage you from poaching these trails, even if no one hears you, your tracks will remain and it will reflect badly on motorcyclists as a whole. Maybe my experience of using legal trails when they aren't busy might offer up an idea you can use. As far as the practical side, I used a HID headlamp and Ricky Stators dual headlamp system to light the trails. The combo worked great. I also always carried my cel phone, although that wouldn't do me much good if I was unconcious.

Regards,

Wardo

I don't think the idea of killing headlight to ride in dark is very clever. The person practicing to Baja had dual headlights and a HID headlamp - that is 5 or more times of lighting power compared to stock 35w. Wit flimsy led setup you will either crash or ride 3 mph.

h

I pulled some "stealth" riding last weekend around 10:30pm on my Husky WR. What the "no balls" dares will do to a man. Manged to get in 25 miles with 3 buddies on quads. Yeah quads..LOL. Who else is gonna carry the beer?

I'm tempted...tempted to install a headlight/taillight kill switch with a small LED headlight for riding at night in areas that are technically not legal. :bonk: These are public land areas that are away from homes; my riding would not disturb anyone. I would stay on the established trails and respect the land and the natural environment.

Any of you want to confess to stealth night riding? ? These immense nature areas are so beautiful and it's such a pity that they're closed off and patrolled at night. Or am I a jerk for thinking about doing this sort of thing? ?

nothing wrong with night riding ... just keep an eye out for deer jumping into your lap ... and, I don't think it will be quite as 'beautiful' in the dark ... :bonk:

No, the LED headlight is pretty bright once your eyes are accustomed to the dark. It aims down and lights up the ground well. I just don't want the regular headlight shining through 100 feet of leafless winter landscape to broadcast to a passing Mr. Police Officer that there is somebody riding in the woods.

No, the LED headlight is pretty bright once your eyes are accustomed to the dark. It aims down and lights up the ground well. I just don't want the regular headlight shining through 100 feet of leafless winter landscape to broadcast to a passing Mr. Police Officer that there is somebody riding in the woods.

I'm sure they'll hear you smacking into a tree. ?

I'm really torn on this issue! One side of me says that the majority of the public woods areas should be accessible to dirtbikes- Hikers still have by far the bulk of nature areas to walk on, and bikes are getting less riding area every year, so F 'em if they don't like it. The other side of me says that the hikers will see the ruts, tracks, whatever, and get even more fascist than they are right now, feeling as though you have violated pristine trails. Then we lose more land; then someone pisses them off again and more gets taken away. Riding illegally is certainly something I did without thinking about the consequnces when I was younger; these days I weigh this stuff more before doing it.

I would recommend getting the helmet mounted lighting systems,That way it shines only where you point and you can just flip it off if you want it off.

I also must ask why are you worried about "Smokeys" if your not near any houses or sub-divisons?

just curious.

I've always wanted to get a bigbore 4 stroke and tear the Golf course down the street up. Or just ride on the side walk, that would be just as fun...

Just a devious immature thought.... I haven't acted apon it.... yet ?

The willingness for so many on these forums to ride illegally is disappointing. The quick thrill of one of these stealth rides can greatly contribute to the "Antis" pursuit of shutting down more of our public land to riding.

Yeah, that's probably true. Maybe we should limit our night riding to public streets and private property. They can't close those down, but we could get thrown in jail or shot.

?

In answer to your question...there are many, many forest preserves all around the Chicago area. Some are small, but some are immense and beautiful. Interestingly, they are patrolled like you would not believe by many, many, many Forest Preserve police officers. I go through these areas to and from work on a daily basis and I see a patrol car somewhere around them regularly. At night, I would say that one out of every 30-50 cars that are driving around these areas are armed police officers with the Forest Preserve. Now this can't be because of ATV's, dirt bikes, etc., because I NEVER have seen one riding in these preserves. There must be a boatload of dumping, or drug dealing, or illegal drug growing, or something else going on. I mean, they are patrolled better than any residential neighborhood I've ever seen.

So....that's why I want to draw as little attention to myself as possible. On the other hand, I think that a) it's still too risky and ? any tracks I might leave would probably be called in to the police by tomorrow morning's joggers. Maybe I'll scratch the whole idea. It's just that I love riding my bike so much, but it's so cold that riding 40,50,60 miles to get out of the Chicago area is too far when it's 25 degrees, and these nature areas are so much closer.

For those of you against the idea, don't be too angry at me. I'm not an irresponsible person; in fact, when I'm walking in the woods, I pick up trash, bottles, etc., so I can throw them out at the trash cans in the parking areas. When I had my F250 and used to ride in the Pine Barrens in Jersey (any of you know about the Pineys???) I would regularly pick up bottles, trash, etc. and throw them in a bag so I could toss them in a dumpster on the way out.

Sorry for rambling...

you are so right lotsofbikes! this great state of nevada is free and open for whatever and whenever you want! i live in dayton and i can fire up my pig and ride up some sweet canyons to check out old mining camps, ghost towns and some straight bitchin trails right out of my backyard!? night time is even better! i know in time this will become not only the greater peoples republic of california, but the peoples republic of i came from ca. and you will conform to my liberal standards! well i say f.u.! ??:bonk::bonk::eek:?:eek:

I got 2 small switches from RadioShack and mounted them on the bars. I can turn off my tail light and or headlight at will. It is good to have even when riding in the woods, who needs lights during the day?

I usually ride into our local state park to catch the sunset or just see the stars. Turning off the lights helps get by guard stations.

By the way, Anti's are ALWAYS going to want to stop us, that is why they are called ANTI's ?

Ride with respect when you go by joggers, I usually wave, they wave back.

Do not roostertail through trails, just ride! ?

i'm not mad at you, I like the idea of running from the cops. I just think it's better during the day...more exciting!

And for all you guys that think we can save offroad riding and open areas by being "resposible"...you might be in for a suprise...I might be wrong but i think no matter what you do, our sport's day is numberd.

Its funy though...running from the cops LOL. I mean i dont even buy a green sticker anymore for my dirtbikes, you just gotta be faster!..

why give em my cash?? so they can waste my fund $ on anti riding BS...you guys know the deal. We're all getting taxed hard with nothing to show for it in the end except a big ass closed sign in your face. They dont call it a war pig for nothin, right?

sorry for the vent...