xr650l supermoto died at a trackday

so midway thru the first session, it bogged out, engine still pumpin but no go to the rear wheel, pulled off and it died and did not want to restart

got it off the track and then it restarted, made me think it was a fuel issue. fuel line looked good, it restarted and ran fine up and down the pit area, that made me think a venting issue or flooding or something

2nd session, same thing. would not restart till I got it off the track

then funny thing it started, put in neutral and when I let the clucth out it died, same thing 3x in a row. so I think clutch bypass switch, same thing happened once on my busa when the switch went south

disconnected the wires and bypassed the switch with a firecracker plug

ran fine the rest of the day

is there another issue that might have caused this ?

did you disconnect the sidestand also? might eb the bypass for that too

How do you bypass these switches?

naw, didn;t do the sidestand.......maybe I will do that too.

to bypass the clutch switch you just pull the wires and connect them, that closes the circuit so the bike will start and eliminates the switch from the equation

replacing one female connector with a male one is a more sano look, firecracker is what I could do on the track inbetween seesions real quick like

My 1995 XR650L did this exact thing a month after I bought the bike new in 1996. No spark.. Then the bike would start and run fine. About Once a year it would do it.. Strange... I could never put my thumb on the problem. I couldn’t find this intermittent broblem.

Then one day in 2003 it wouldn't start back up at all, which was good. I was then able to diagnose the actual problem. After eliminating all other parts of the ignition system, I isolated the root of the problem. It was an intermittent problem with the CDI box in the battery case.

I replaced the CDI box and it has run perfect since. It actually started right away, and easier than usual. My CDI box was probably defective from the factory. The spark at the blug is now visibly stronger than it was with the original CDI box.

naw, didn;t do the sidestand.......maybe I will do that too.

to bypass the clutch switch you just pull the wires and connect them, that closes the circuit so the bike will start and eliminates the switch from the equation

replacing one female connector with a male one is a more sano look, firecracker is what I could do on the track inbetween seesions real quick like

I think a "how to" on exactly how to totally bypass al the safety devices (clutch, neutral and kickstand) would make a great sticky thread. :thumbsup:

I know I would like to bypass all of mine. :thumbsup:

Connecting together the 2 wires bypasses the clutch switch, if you also GROUND the 2 wires you also bypass the neutral and kickstand switches.

Dave

The first switch to be removed from my 650L back in 1996 was the kickstand switch. The plug for it is on top of the airbox. I unplugged the wire that leads down to the kickstand, wired the contacts together, then filled the plug with JB-weld.