HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Velocibiker

long or short WR450 maintenance intervals?

8 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of picking up a 450 and plating it. How are the "routine" maintenance schedules on these?

Oil:

Valves:

What about other stuff like shock linkage...

Anything a real PITA to service?

For comparison, my KTM Adventure is 5K between oil changes. Uses two filters & 3 drain plugs. Takes me about 20 minutes for an oil change. Valves are also every 5K or once a year. Takes maybe 5 minutes to actually check and adjust, but another 1/2 hour to tear it all down to get access to the valves, then put it all back together. Everything else is pretty basic. Nothing harder or easier than any other bike I've owned....

The oil capacity of the WR is way less than your 640. I would use synthetics and change every 1000 miles. Valves don't move much after breakin. Service the chassis like any other bike. The WR is near bulletproof but regular fluid changes are required.

Yes I agree change oil every 1000km's but use a semi synthetic otherwise you might experience clutch slippage. The rest is not required as often as some would claim, I'd check the valves every 5000km's or so.

The oil capacity of the WR is way less than your 640. I would use synthetics and change every 1000 miles. Valves don't move much after breakin. Service the chassis like any other bike. The WR is near bulletproof but regular fluid changes are required.

You calling 1000 miles regular??? :bonk:

:thumbsup: That is way too long to go with out changing oil.

The manual states oil changes every 1000kms (~600 mile), which is way too long if you actually ride the bike. :thumbsup:

Valve adjustment takes way longer on these bikes, not half as easy as the KTM's. We have to pull the head apart to do it!

Checking them is about a 1/2 an hour job from start to finish. Valve clearances on Yamaha 's are very notorius for not moving much at all if any for 1000's of kms after break in, so adjustment is some what very rare.

Oil changes are piss easy, I stick to 5 hrs engine time (~500 or so kms for me) with a new filter every change too. It always has a bit of a metallic shimmer to it, I would really hate to see it after 1600 kms (1000 miles). Some people here would only change their oil once every 2 years if they stuck to that! :thumbsup:

Fresh oil is cheap and the bikes really like it. We only have 1 filter and 3 drain points too.

Your adventure is some what of a touring bike, the WR's are way more race orientated. We have higher comperssion and higher rev limit on our bikes and as a result, more frequent services are needed. Our bikes hold less oil with 1.2 litres. Saying that, they are very very reliable, as everyone here will actually all agree on.

Have a look at the KTM 450 and 525 exc? They are better than the WR in many ways, and you are used to orange. They just cost more for parts. These also require about the same maintenance as the WR's.

You calling 1000 miles regular??? :bonk:

:thumbsup: That is way too long to go with out changing oil.

The manual states oil changes every 1000kms (~600 mile), which is way too long if you actually ride the bike. :thumbsup:

I am assuming that he is replacing his adventure and Dual Sporting the WR. If all dirt then after every couple of full trail days. If on dunes, racing or other engine stressing ride then change after the ride. All rides are not the same.

I am assuming that he is replacing his adventure and Dual Sporting the WR. If all dirt then after every couple of full trail days. If on dunes, racing or other engine stressing ride then change after the ride. All rides are not the same.

:thumbsup: - I still would hope you would hope that he at least would follow the bare minimum recommendations in the manual!