Clutch basket replacement

I'm replacing the clutch basket on my '04 WR. The manual shows a special tool needed to hold the basket when removing/installing it. What is everybody using instead of the special tool? Any install tips besides what's in the manual?

By the way, don't use Tusk clutch plates. One hour of riding after a fresh install, and the inner most friction plate self destructed and grooved the basket terribly. The $20 bucks I saved by using Tusk plates is now going to cost $200 for a new basket and $90 for OEM plates ? . Expensive lesson.

Jerry

Use an air or electric impact wrench hold the clutch basket with a rag. Don't forget the washer tab. BTW have you checked out the Barnett clutch kit with the stainless steel wear guards that thing looks killer and the magazines (dirt rider) gave it a good review. Since you are replacing the basket you should consider the Barnett kit basket plates springs the whole deal.

This may be a stupid question, but did you pre-soak your plates in oil before you installed them? Putting in dry plates will do this. As far as the tool goes, they are cheap and work . You risk breaking the basket if you try and hold it another way. I have jamed wedges in the gears before to get them off but it isnt worth the risk.

This may be a stupid question, but did you pre-soak your plates in oil before you installed them? Putting in dry plates will do this. As far as the tool goes, they are cheap and work . You risk breaking the basket if you try and hold it another way. I have jamed wedges in the gears before to get them off but it isnt worth the risk.

Yeah, I soaked them. Not my first clutch replacement. The basket was in perfect shape when I changed the plates out. It was definitely the Tusk plates ? .

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

Jerry, if you ever have the chance, I would love to see a picture of the torn up plate. No special reason other than to see if it looks liek an ebc plate. Several have claimed the two are identical.

Rocky Mountain will give you a refund on the clutch kit. I have had to return several items to them. They have no problems giving you your money back on the stuff your not happy with.