more starter and battery removal ?'s

I have already searched and read about this but I am still having problems. I disconnected the positive and negative from the battery and disconnected the wire that goes to the starter. I connected the ground that is in the main wiring harness to the regulator mount and made sure that the ignition button is on. The bike will not start like this. What am doing wrong?

I just hooked everything back up and started the bike. No problem. While it was running I disconnected the positive at the battery and the engine died. Can someone explain what needs to be done to make the engine run without the battery.

It has been posted in other threads, that if you have an 05 or newer WR, that you need a resister or a capacitor in place of the battery. Which one excactly, I don't know.

It's a 04 wr 250.

I just bought one from Trail Tech for $25 part #040-cap56. I havnt put it in yet but it is what you need.

I was told I need one for my 03 wr450, is this true. The bike runs fine without the batt but I was told it could spike and hurt the CDI.

What did you do to make it run without the battery? I'm stumped.

Just unhooked it!! Dont know why your will not run. I just got the capasitor to because the guys at Vortex said that i should use it to eliminate voltage spikes.

The problem is simple. The little gray button doesn't work without the battery. You have to pull out the little lever thingy and give it a kick. Oh, make sure the gas is on!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, I will never understand you button disabling maniacs. If you wanted a lighter bike why didn't you buy a motocrosser?

I guess Darwin hasn't gotten them all yet.

I just bought one from Trail Tech for $25 part #040-cap56. I havnt put it in yet but it is what you need.

I was told I need one for my 03 wr450, is this true. The bike runs fine without the batt but I was told it could spike and hurt the CDI.

you do not need anything for an '03 wr 450. pull the battery. be sure to tape up the ends and secure the wires so they do not touch each other or the frame.

i have no idea why the vortex guys say there are spikes. sounds like they want to sell you something. i still haven't seen anything that confirms yamaha did anything to the '05/'06 wr's. no data, just "a guy at the shop told me". your battery has nothing to do with the juice going to your cdi. it is not in line with your cdi. your magneto's charge is split into two parts. one part goes to the regulator/rectifier to become a d.c. charge. that is used to charge the battery so it can power the starter. that's it. the other circuit is for the lights and ignition. check out an older wr without a battery or starter. no regulator/rectifier and no capacitor.

you do not need anything for an '03 wr 450. pull the battery. be sure to tape up the ends and secure the wires so they do not touch each other or the frame.

i have no idea why the vortex guys say there are spikes. sounds like they want to sell you something. i still haven't seen anything that confirms yamaha did anything to the '05/'06 wr's. no data, just "a guy at the shop told me". your battery has nothing to do with the juice going to your cdi. it is not in line with your cdi. your magneto's charge is split into two parts. one part goes to the regulator/rectifier to become a d.c. charge. that is used to charge the battery so it can power the starter. that's it. the other circuit is for the lights and ignition. check out an older wr without a battery or starter. no regulator/rectifier and no capacitor.

This did not work on my 03, without the battery the bike will not run. Pull the battery cable loose while running and the bike dies. Local Yamaha shop says it needs the battery or a battery eliminator. Don't know why it works for some and not others? I have also found out on mine grounding the regulator will not work either, go figure?

As for the the question as to why do it? simple, gearing. The WR has a 5 speed close ratio tranny, the YZ has a wide ratio 4 speed or like my O6 a 5 speed but still wide ratio and a very tall 1st gear.

Look at the starter take off kit for the YFZ. It should work. You can buy it from Yamaha alone without buying the kickstarter assembly with it. That should solve all your problems because thats what it is for.

I'm sorry to be beating this subject into the ground. I have been studying the elecytical diagram and trying different things with the bike and I cant figure out how to get spark at the plug with the battery disconnected. Some how The battery needs to be bypassed or some other wires need to be looped. Does anyone have any ideas?