Chain Maintenance

I plan on cleaning my chain and re-oil.

Is the best to remove it, clean and re-oil.

What do you clean the chain with? Any special cleaner?

Thanks for your help guys :thumbsup:

Here we go again...

Wash your bike

Dry your chain

Spray it with silicon spray and leave it.

If you oil/lube/wax it, it will only cause dust to stick to it and that wears your chain and sprockets faster.

You don't need to lube an o-ring chain as the lube is contained with-in the chain itself, I got 5000kms out of my last set of sprockets and chain using the wash and silicon method.

Note do not use WD-40 as it does penetrate the o rings and dissolves the grease with-in the chain.

Sit back and watch the respones roll in.

I totally agree with you Greg. I use silicone also.

Any gummy chain lubes attract dirt and just turn into a grinding paste.

Note do not use WD-40 as it does penetrate the o rings and dissolves the grease with-in the chain.

Greg, I agree with not using a chain lube but if not WD-40 what do you clean your chain with :thumbsup:

After washing the bike & brushing (soft fibre, not steel brush) the chain clean, dry & spray with chain wax. A lot of guys are going to tell you that chain wax collects grit etc, untrue, leave the chain wax to dry for 15-20 minutes before riding, as per instruction on the can. No grit sticks to it & it prevents it from rusting. Just be careful when spraying that you don't get it all over the bike.

I asked this a little while ago, so if you search, you will find!

Chain wax kicks ass, nothing really sticks to it and it doesn't get flung off like lube!

These x-ring chains actually don't need lubrication. Just give it a bit of a scrub being careful of the o-rings to keep clean. A quick spray with chain wax / crc and the likes only really prevents rust. I use the chain wax as more of a barrier against mud and crap.

The way to lube it properly is to take it off and leave it soak for a day or two in motor oil.

A biodegradable degreaser won't eat away the o-rings, normal truck wash or what ever you wash your bike with is good to clean chain.

What's a good brand of chain wax to buy? And where?

Stay away from Chain wax it does not work in muddy conditions only sandy soils! It attracts clay type dirt and wears out your chain and sprockets much faster. Good old WD40 is good. I use Digi-Lube lubricant which dries to a no stick finish. :thumbsup:

Stay away from Chain wax! It attracts dirt and wears out your chain and sprockets faster.
I have to totally disagree! I have found that the wax is not sticky like oil / wd40 / crc, and unlike these, doesn't fling off, my chain is still lubed at the end of my ride. It does not attract dirt / dust / mud, it actually repels them better than anything I have ever tried. I ride in an awesome amount of mud, dust, sand and soft clay every ride, which are very harsh on running gear, no problems at all here.

Still on the original chain and sprockets here after about 3,500kms, I ride a heap of real fast tracks all at over 170kms an hour. Waiting till they wear out before changing gearing, but I am getting sick of waiting! The wax stays on the chain and not all over my bike! :bonk:

I have to say, I guess it is just like which oil you use, totally personal preference and everyone has their favorites. :thumbsup:

I used to use the same Maxima Chain Wax for the first year of riding on my 03 and everything stuck to it except sand! I think the product would be good for street bikes! I now see the light with Digi-Lube. I wont go back. :thumbsup:

What is digi lube? Do you mean silicone spray?

That is one thing that does sort of stay on the chain. Sometimes I give mine a spray when doing my plastics.

I ride a heap of real fast tracks all at over 170kms an hour.

:eek::p

Do the WR450's go that fast with only the free mods done?? If so :thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup:

Here is what I do, Soak it in gasoline, 91 octane is recomended, light it on fire to burn all of the old sh!t off, when it gets good and hot swing it around by one end, to dislodge and embedded gunk. Then soak it in a hot 12 inch fry pan full of crisco oil for 2 days. remove then give a a good coat of sex wax. Should last forever!!!!

What is digi lube? Do you mean silicone spray?

That is one thing that does sort of stay on the chain. Sometimes I give mine a spray when doing my plastics.

Ultra Film is a unique synthetic, complex molecular structured chemical that co-mingles at the oxide layer of all metals and plastics. This treatment of the oxide layer allows the molecules to bend, rather than shear off, when encountering high friction or bearing loads.

This is the same formula the military uses to lubricate & clean weapons in the field. Ultra Film Lube is sold in the USA by others for non motorcycle applications. Motorcycle diluted versions of the full concentrate are sold domestically by Digi-Lube:

http://www.best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com/Ultra_film_chain_lube.htm

I : 1) wash bike

2) ride around the block to throw the water off or blow with compressed air

3) using a rag, soak that sucker in fresh motor oil. (whatever is lying around 10-40 valvoline in my case.)

If in a big hurry squirt with WD-40.

If it gets really gunked up. Soak in Kerosene (NOT Gasoline, so you don't burn your face off when your friend walks up with a cig), and repeat 2 and 3.

Here is what I do, Soak it in gasoline, 91 octane is recomended, light it on fire to burn all of the old sh!t off, when it gets good and hot swing it around by one end, to dislodge and embedded gunk. Then soak it in a hot 12 inch fry pan full of crisco oil for 2 days. remove then give a a good coat of sex wax. Should last forever!!!!
:eek::p

Do the WR450's go that fast with only the free mods done?? If so :thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup:

They do! Still need the 15/50 gearing. You don't need that much road to get it up to that fast. Maybe 200m? They have very good 1/4 mile times! I have heard 10 sec - 11 sec thrown around, which is not unrealistic by any means. Mine makes a bit more power than just the free mods though.

Here we go again...

Wash your bike

Dry your chain

Spray it with silicon spray and leave it.

If you oil/lube/wax it, it will only cause dust to stick to it and that wears your chain and sprockets faster.

You don't need to lube an o-ring chain as the lube is contained with-in the chain itself, I got 5000kms out of my last set of sprockets and chain using the wash and silicon method.

Sit back and watch the respones roll in.

What gregwr450f said!...That is all I ever do and I am getting close to 3k on my current set. No where near being worn out and so simple to do. One thing I do is ride it up and down the neighborhood to annoy the neighbors before I spray it with Silicon. :thumbsup:

this obsession with chain lubricants is confusing.

I have read in a magazine (australian) that nearly all chain lubricants are beneficial, but the good old wd 40 is just as good as all of them.

If you value your time at much more than $5 an hour its best just to squirt it with wd40 (i use aus made INNOX which ismarine style wd40) each time you ride.

These chain lube OCD sufferers may learn that you can spend heaps on whizz bang lubes, even heat the chain up in a fry pan full of grease, all sorts of ,methods and the difference in chain life will be negligible. keep it simple, cheaper is better. find something to do.