Im thinkn about XR650

Hello,

CRF 450 rider here...

I love open desert riding, and i think the CRF 450 is a little under powered? i mean.. it hauls ass, but i think i would want something bigger for my open desert riding/racing.. and i hate switching out sprokets,,,

I few simple 650 Q's:

What do they usually go for... price wise.. for one that is a few years old.. example.. 02-04...

any years i should avoid?? what years are the best...

Any major valve issues like the 450??

THANKS A lot.. i really appriciate any information!! :thumbsup:

3000/4000, no vavle problems

A+ Desert bike, seat sucks but no other complaints, once uncorked and jetted right it's a beast and mine starts 1st kick 9 out of 10 times, with tall gearing fuel milage is much better, a good rear tire is a must, it's a blast on the street too.

A+ Desert bike, seat sucks but no other complaints, once uncorked and jetted right it's a beast and mine starts 1st kick 9 out of 10 times, with tall gearing fuel milage is much better, a good rear tire is a must, it's a blast on the street too.

whats wrong with the seat??? too hard?? soft??

Most compliants with the seat are that it is to hard and after a while in the seat you have a serious case of :thumbsup: I put a tall soft seat foam on mine since I use it for dualsporting and that was a huge improvement. Awesome bike by the way but what advise would you expect from a bunch of 650 owners :bonk:

The bike has never changed. From 2000 to 2006 all parts are interchangable.

Hello,

CRF 450 rider here...

I love open desert riding, and i think the CRF 450 is a little under powered? i mean.. it hauls ass, but i think i would want something bigger for my open desert riding/racing.. and i hate switching out sprokets,,,

I few simple 650 Q's:

What do they usually go for... price wise.. for one that is a few years old.. example.. 02-04...

any years i should avoid?? what years are the best...

Any major valve issues like the 450??

THANKS A lot.. i really appriciate any information!! :bonk:

02-04: 3000-4500 range depends on condition

All years are the same, no problems with any of them

No valve issues

Nothing wrong with the seat, just stand on the pegs for desert riding and you will be fine

You will surely feel the extra weight!!! :thumbsup:

Hey I have an '02 I would like to sell seeing I don't ride it much since I bout a klx300. Its uncorked with pro tapers. Excellent condition and super maintanence schedule. Doesn't fit what and where I ride anymore. Unreal power. I love this bike.

The seat is ok off road but on road my arse hurts after 50 miles, hard and square, not much worse than my XR600Rs I had.

If you're over 200 lbs. you'll be interested in a stiffer spring for the pig too. I still haven't made the jump to a bigger one, but you sound like you ride pretty quick and if you race at all, even in the desert, you'll probably want a better spring. Stock is rated for a 160 lb rider. I have no clue what Honda was thinking there, but oh well. The suspension links on this page have all the info you'll need.

What do they usually go for... price wise..

I just paid 3k for this 01' its about average

Xr650R2.jpg

Xr650R.jpg

Xr650R1.jpg

I have an 01 it seems to be a good bike.The brp responds well to mods.A little bit if a handful in the tight steep stuff,but will go anywhere.I maintain the bike well and have had no problems.buuurp

01 xr650r

02cbr1100xx

My impression from guys who change from a motocross bike to The Pig is just this- Just about everything you love about your motocrosser will suck with The Pig, and everything you hate about a motocross bike is a joy with a Piggie. For example, that quick flickable steering, the way you can whip the motocrosser through a corner without thinking about it much; that hard snap of power when you get into the power band (and fanning the clutch to stay there), pounding over triples without bottoming and etc, the Oinker won't do it. The Pig is all about solid, massive power from idle to the rev limiter with long compliant legs to soak up whoops. It won't dive, shake, or yank the bars out of your hands. In fact it handles like a Cadillac in the tight stuff (bad) and also in the wide open stuff (very good! almost relaxing at 90+ through open terrain, and quite simply the ultimate dune bike). The 650R is born and bred to tear through miles in huge gulps, everything beside that is an afterthought.

Not to argue with you folks about the top end, but, a few friends with 650’s as well as myself have had to do the top end due to intake valve wear. Nothing like the 450’s, it took four years, but all the same the intakes are soft. Haven’t you ever wondered why the intakes are always tight when adjusting the valves?

To the original poster:

When you do pick up a 650 do the top end, just for fun, and port and polish the head. Drill the air box cover. Stock muffler with the HRC tip. Uni-filter. Jet to suit. And finally, re-gear to 15-45.

Have fun.