HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NYMXer

New 06 YZ450F help/advice

14 posts in this topic

OK, I am getting a new 06 YZ450F and it is my firsrt 4 stroke. I want the bike right ASAP because getting adjusted will on my mind and not imporvements.

So, what should I do right away, soon after break in and what should I leave alone?

I've read about changing out the front tire, some jetting issues and differant bars. Besides the normal set up of sag , etc..........what else do I need to do?

Thaks in advance for your input. :thumbsup:

Check here:

http://www.thumperfaq.com

Oh, and do a search if you want more specific posts. This has been discussed at length.

Your link was about older 250F's. I was seeking input on a specific year and model. I am sorry if my questions were redundant to you. Maybe others out there will be a little kinder and more helpful to a 4 banger and TT newbie. :thumbsup:

I've read to make sure that the forks are slid thru the top triple clamp to the 1st etched line on the fork. Also, that the protaper bar has a low rise, if this is a problem, instead of buying high bend bars, they recommend going up 10mm in bar riser height. Pro taper sells them for $60, 35mm, 45, 55 mm risers.. I need to figure out what is the stock height, probably 35mm, anyone know? I will ride mine at the track for the first time tomorrow. If I have a problem with the front end, I am going to get the risers.

Thanks for the info zcookie49. Keep me posted as to your findings either here or PM please. Thanks and have fun tomorrow.............I wish I was riding too. Darn snow!

aftermarket fuel screw is important (I think), make certain to change your oil after a ride or two and check valve clearances. Dunlop 755 is a GREAT front tire.

Most people need more info...

Rider level

Track or trail

Conditions

Normal Climate

All of these have major differences

Mine is great!

I choose a 50 tooth sprocket,lowered the forks to the first line, set the suspension for my size and weight and that's about it.

I am a C class rider in Florida. Lots of sand and loose tracks as well as clay hard pack.

FWIW, I'd ride the crap out of it as a new bike then dial it in as best you can before thinking you need to change anything. Have the dealer mechanic dial it in for your weight and riding ability. Make sure bolts are tight everywhere before every ride and just enjoy the bike. You'll have plenty of time to make changes specific to your needs as things wear out. If you are all set to make a bunch of changes on a brand new bike before you spend some time on it you should buy a different bike IMHO.

rode the bike today..Phenominal.

My forks were set up with the tops of the fork meeting top of triple clamp. I raised them up to the 1st etched line on the top of the forks. I didnt notice any problems with turning whatsoever.

read the post about the hour meter, I have to redo mine.

If you are all set to make a bunch of changes on a brand new bike before you spend some time on it you should buy a different bike IMHO.

I wouldn't call changing bars, a chain and a tire a bunch of changes. I know that EVERY bike has little things that the rider should look into ASAP and those are the heads up I am looking for. I can tell you that I WILL be adding a quality chain, and let a ride decide if a front tire and higher bars are needed. The hour meter advice was good and I liked the one about checking the sprocket bolts, amongst others. That is what I was asking for, not exaggerated remarks. :thumbsup:

BTW..............I love this smiley guy :bonk::thumbsup::eek::p:worthy: