HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theclone

YZ400 popping on decel

9 posts in this topic

I know I need to adjust the pilot jet, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. Anyone wanna help?

EDIT: w00t! silver member!

OK back on topic...

Don't overlook the Fuel Screw.....

This time of year, with the temperature fluctuating, you can have the fuel screw off by a little bit, and she will backfire on deceleration.

I was at the track Sunday, and my bike was backfiring on decel. gave about 1/4 turn out, and no more backfiring. Try this first.

Don't overlook the Fuel Screw.....

This time of year, with the temperature fluctuating, you can have the fuel screw off by a little bit, and she will backfire on deceleration.

I was at the track Sunday, and my bike was backfiring on decel. gave about 1/4 turn out, and no more backfiring. Try this first.

OK, that's what I thought at first, but after doing a search I thought it was the pilot jet. So how do I go about doing this? I got tired of searching through the manual, so that's why I am here. :thumbsup:

The Fuel screw is a recessed screw that is on the bottom of the carb., closest to the handlebars. It is a pain in the azz to adjust, since it is recesed. You generally have to get a stubby screwdriver, and then you have to grind down the screwdriver so that it's even shorter to fit.

The best $ 20 or so you can spend is for an Aftermarket fuel screw replacement, like the Zip-Ty model that I use. You simply remove the stock recessed screw, and install the Zip-Ty, which is a longer screw that has a knurled knob attached that also has graduated numbers on it. Now you no longer need to carry around a short screwdriver with you, you simply reach down and turn the Zip-Ty fuel screw by hand. It can make a big difference as to how crisp the throttle response is from idle to about 1/3 of throttle, it also will eliminate deceleration backfiring, if the carb is jetted reasonably where it should be.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/display/eCommerce/Products.asp?CategoryID=110&order=

I think it is normal for the yz400s because the one I had did the same thing. It also used to shoot flames out the exhaust lol! :thumbsup:

The Fuel screw is a recessed screw that is on the bottom of the carb., closest to the handlebars. It is a pain in the azz to adjust, since it is recesed. You generally have to get a stubby screwdriver, and then you have to grind down the screwdriver so that it's even shorter to fit.

The best $ 20 or so you can spend is for an Aftermarket fuel screw replacement, like the Zip-Ty model that I use. You simply remove the stock recessed screw, and install the Zip-Ty, which is a longer screw that has a knurled knob attached that also has graduated numbers on it. Now you no longer need to carry around a short screwdriver with you, you simply reach down and turn the Zip-Ty fuel screw by hand. It can make a big difference as to how crisp the throttle response is from idle to about 1/3 of throttle, it also will eliminate deceleration backfiring, if the carb is jetted reasonably where it should be.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/display/eCommerce/Products.asp?CategoryID=110&order=

thanks! that's the info I needed. :thumbsup::bonk:

A little off topic but I thought this was funny. I saw this on the page you linked me to:

Please note that some of the DR-Zs - streetlegal - do not have the Keihin pumper carb - at least what we've seen in California (for our stringent - read: ridiculous - emissions laws).

:thumbsup: ridiculous is an understatement

Just a thought, try some STP carb cleaner. Mix 2-3 ounces in a tank and run fast. Might clean up some deposits. My bike use to backfire like a fiend and this sort of simple treatment has done wonders.