HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dbailey223

Suspension valves

4 posts in this topic

Are the suspension valves (fork and rear) something that I could upgrade on my own, or is that the part of the suspension better left to the pros with the right tools?

Motopower Video Productions sell DVD's that cover complete fork and Shock maintenance. The DVD's shows how to take the valves and shims apart. It does not give specific recommendations for shim/valve modifications but it does describe how they operate.

The DVD's are bike specific but there isn't one availabe for your bike yet. We filmed the fork on an '02 wr426F which is slightly different. If you're mechanically inclined you can probably figure out the difference with the aid of the service manual. We are planning to film both the shock and fork soon. Check out www.motopowervideo.com.

Good luck.

What is the part of suspension work that is reserved for the pros? I thought I read in here to avoid doing something, and I can't remember or find it. Was it the nitrogen? If so, is that related to the valves at all?

The pro's get several pcs of information from you (weight, riding experience, type of terrain, issues about handling...) and suggest specific valves, shims, preload.... You can get the same information from racetech or other aftermarket manufacturers when you purchase their parts. The aftermarket parts suppliers give you an installation sheet that shows the specific order to put the shims and valve. If you want to stick to stock valves and play around with shim stacks, you can get feedback from other TT's about the modifications they've done to their suspension. The remaining Pro advantage is knowing the tips and tricks to assembly, cleaning and reassembly. That's what's shown on the DVD. We don't recommend specific valves or shim stacks though.

The shock requires a nitrogen charge. You can probably get your local shop to charge it for you. I'd check with them first.

Good luck