Tall guys....

Alright. I've accepted the fact that these things are made for people that are of the Asian persuasion or are just shorter than 6 feet tall. But, I'd really like to know how to set this thing up better. I'm planning on ordering an SDG tall seat and flopping the footpeg springs around. Is there anything else I can do? I've got a riser/adapter for my fatbars that raised them up. I also would like to slide the forks up some to make it handle better. I go over jumps and I can barely stand up off the seat, I feel so cramped on it. I'm 6' 2" by the way. Please, help me out here. Do they make foot pegs that are lower? I'm desperate. Thanks ,guys .

i feel your pain brother,

its only getting worse as the new bikes are shrinking :bonk: your not gonna get a whole lot lower on the pegs than you will by doing the lowering mod. even if you could it'd get kinda dangerous to your toes! you've mentioned about all there is to do ?

Fastway makes lower pegs, or you can mod your stock pegs. I'm 6'3", w/ 36 inch inseam. I put a taller seat on my WR and it helped a lot, though I thing the seat and pegs together might be to much. I tried CEET foam first and hated it. To soft, sank into it so far it didn't make much difference. Ended up with Guts tall firm. I'm going to try lower pegs first this time(when they get some out for the '06 YZ).

I use a Carmichael bend Renthal Fatbar (same as Windom bend Pro Taper, go figure) and roll it forward a bit. ?

I'm 6'4" and I used the universal adapters for my Pro Tapers and that helped, I also had a local trim shop build me a taller seat. I wanted a SDG, but a few of my friends have them and the foam doesn't hold up too well. I feel a little cramped up when I ride, but not too bad.

SDG only makes on foam density, which is too soft. You will feel the plastic underthe seat while sitting and hitting bumps. In the past SDG/Moose was available in diff foams, but not now. Go with the Gut Racing seat, diff foams plus the tall version is much better than SDG (which is only slightly taller then stock).

BTW, I have 2 SDG/Moose, 2 GUTS Racing seats, the Guts is so much better.

Installing a top clamp that offers multiple bar locations and then changing to a taller bend will help, too. My son is 6'3" plus, and we just set him up with a clamp that let's us mount the bars about 12mm forward. Many of the clamps also offer higher bar clamps.

We used a "YZ High" bend, and so far, he's happier. Understand, he grew from 5' 10" or so while he's had the bike, so he doesn't know anything is supposed to be uncomfortable. Other taller bends are the CR High, the Doug henry, and the Kevin Windham. Most catalogs should give the dimensions for comparison.

Alright. I've accepted the fact that these things are made for people that are of the Asian persuasion or are just shorter than 6 feet tall. But, I'd really like to know how to set this thing up better. I'm planning on ordering an SDG tall seat and flopping the footpeg springs around. Is there anything else I can do? I've got a riser/adapter for my fatbars that raised them up. I also would like to slide the forks up some to make it handle better. I go over jumps and I can barely stand up off the seat, I feel so cramped on it. I'm 6' 2" by the way. Please, help me out here. Do they make foot pegs that are lower? I'm desperate. Thanks ,guys .

powerpegz.com

they are an inch and half lower than stock. and 99 bucks and rotate 20 degrees for better foot bed when riding i love them. soo good for when your off the seat. they are asome .

http://powerpegz.com

they are an inch and half lower than stock. and 99 bucks and rotate 20 degrees for better foot bed when riding i love them. soo good for when your off the seat. they are asome .

by the way im 6'3 and on a 04 yz 450

using the powerpegs in the low position and windham pro taper bar on a pro taper top clamp for the fat bar. very comfy. dont know about the tall seat. think that would be a little too much.

Those look awesome. I'm gonna start saving. Those will be killer through rollers and whoops. Quick question: How do you do the trick where you drop your stock footpegs? I was going to trun the spring around but they don't look like they'll fit. Anybody know how?

Installing a top clamp that offers multiple bar locations and then changing to a taller bend will help, too. My son is 6'3" plus, and we just set him up with a clamp that let's us mount the bars about 12mm forward. Many of the clamps also offer higher bar clamps.

We used a "YZ High" bend, and so far, he's happier. Understand, he grew from 5' 10" or so while he's had the bike, so he doesn't know anything is supposed to be uncomfortable. Other taller bends are the CR High, the Doug henry, and the Kevin Windham. Most catalogs should give the dimensions for comparison.

Which clamp did you use? 12mm forward would help me too.

It was a used GYT-R I just picked up. I know that several manufacturers, such as Tag, include both multiple mount points for the bar clamps as well as setting the bolt that mounts the bar clamp to the top clamp off center of the bars, so that they can be rotated 180 degrees for an alternative position. Look for that feature.

I have the SDG tall seat, and adjustable clamps with high risers. I'm 6'2" as well, but my inseam is more like 33". I find that the seat makes me feel "on" the bike rather than "in" it. I've taken off the seat and have gone back to the stocker. My .02.

6'3" 90% stand up rider here.

I have to go to drastic lengths to get any bike to fit. My YZF's have had the pegs dropped via fastway pegs and a really funky looking 1.5"up 1.5"forward thumper racing bar risers. I bought my current set way back in 97-98 and they keep following me around. I run a low YZ bend bar narrowed up for the woods to 30" and I keep it rolled back to give my wrists a break. (reverse pun) I have toyed with RC/Allesi mini bars and Pastrana FX bars any of the bars I have tried still put me too far back unless I build a special clamp. My tall risers alow me to bolt my Scotts damper directly to the triple clamp and keep it low. I resisted this arrangement for years as I was concerned about the bars being too far ahead of the stem axis but I always end up with this arrangement in the end and it works great for me. I have enough leverage to work the bike with the narrow bars and am able to accelerate WFO comfortably while standing. Another side benefit is the knee clearance under the bars in deep ruts, I was never comfortable hanging toe up by the front tire before useing this set-up, now I have to be real careful when I ride other bikes to keep from pinning my leg in ruts.

The only problem with really tall risers is they push the bars back into the rider. I found it better to get average size risers and tall bars like tag yz double highs, that way you can rotate the bars forward and keep a good distance to the bars. I also run the 'foot peg mod' but had to cut about 3mm off the rear brake actuator rod to get the brake pedal where i want it. Had this set up on my blue bike and now running it on the green beast. I'm 6'3, this set up works well for me. ?

I am 6'5" and have have raced for almost ten years. It took me a long time to realize this, but by dropping your pegs and buying hugely tall bars will only screw you up more. In order to ride or race at high speeds safely you need to maintain the proper center of gravity. making these seemingly minuscule changes puts you in a position that you think is more comfortable but makes it ten times harder to acheive the corner speed of an average size rider with the same bike. My suggestion to you is to modify your riding style instead of your bike. if your smashing your knee on your bars, well that means your probably not sitting far up enough on the bike. The only modification which I beleive truly helps tall rider is to get an sdg seat with tall seat foam. You may not like this answer but the reality is that instead of making your bike bigger, you actually should make yourself smaller. David vuillimen does this be crouching a lot and staying low by bending his knees. Pastrana on the other hand keeps his knees straigh but he uses a very low bent handlebar (rm low). whichever you choose you should know that squeezing thebike with your knees as much as you can is the best thing you can do as a taller rider. take it or leave it but it worked for me and this is an issue i dwelled on for many years and with many diferent bikes. note: im taller than you are and I feel very comfortable on my stock 06yzf450 in stock trim.