HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nalgene

05 YZF front shox oil leak?

11 posts in this topic

There is a small amount of what looks to be shox oil seeping from my throttle side front shox, back side of the shox. No signs of the same seepage on the other shox. I have yet to really jump this thing.. and when I strap it in my truck I dont bottom out the front end.. &%$#@!?? bad seal already.. if I take it in on monday it will be within its 30day warrnty.. will the warnty cover something like this..

Wish i had a pic but I washed the bike after my ride today.

it may just be a piece of dirt caught in the seal. There is a trick...use 35mm film and run it up and under the seal and work it all the way around the seal/fork tube. It's worth a try.

Also, make sure you release the presure in the forks (the small brass screws on the to of the forks.

Most riders release the air after every ride/moto. Make sure the bike is on a stand with the front wheel off the ground (forks fully extended) when you do it.

Same thing has happend to my '05' only it is the left fork leg leaking and it is leaking all over my brake disc. I tried the magic film trick but still the leaky oil, I release the air pressure after every ride, use a fork saver when I haul it and have only had the bike for around 6 months. I am quite dissapointed in Yamaha for it let me tell you, but in all fairness it probably won't hurt the forks to get a change of oil and get rid of all of those initial metal shavings after break in, so I'd probably be doing them a favour. Went out and bought my seals just yesterday along with some fresh oil, now I just gotta call a favour from good ol uncle Russ to come over and help with the install......

Yeah its going into the dealer for the break in service check * probley just taking my money and washing the bike * but even looking at the manual i am leery at doing mantence.. it would be a different story had i seen someone do it first.. then i think i could tackle maintence issues.

Hopefully they will fix the leak under my warnty.. if not. I think i will be taking it to this guy in phoneix for suspension overhaul.. but I have a ride/training session in temcula next weekend and i was hoping to have the bike in 100% condition.. Why must new things have issues..

Forget the dealer. Take the shock and the front forks off and have a suspension shop change the oil and the seals.

I would grease the swingarm and the linkage while I'm at it.

Forget the dealer. Take the shock and the front forks off and have a suspension shop change the oil and the seals.

I would grease the swingarm and the linkage while I'm at it.

Exactly....on my '06 the right side is sweeping just a bit. A couple more rides and I will be changing out the factory oil and seal.

I am quite dissapointed in Yamaha for it let me tell you

Why?? Do you blame Dunlop when you get a flat tire? Just one of those deals of having a dirt bike.

People want good suspension. If the fork seals are tight they don't respond as well to the small stuff. Looser seals work better but tend to leak more.

You should change suspension fluids often anyway so throwing new seals in is no big deal.

Damn.. ok I have owned quads and snowmachines.. and this dirt bike is sounding like its a maintence nightmare. Oil changes every 5-6 hrs??? and freq shox oil replacement.. WTH :thumbsup:

I am not racing this machine... cant I ride this thing and be a lil more conservative on ANY oil changes.. 10-16hrs on engine oil and maybe a season on the shoxs..

Still have the whole.. Does the Standard 30day warnty cover the front shox seal replacement jazz..

This leak is no seeping.. its a full couple drips a day.. my trucks bed liner has quite a bit of Shox oil showing right under the right side shox.. :bonk: