Clutch replacment for an 01 426, few questions

I got a 426 friday(1-20-2006), and promptly took it to Windrock and tortured the poor beast. For those of you that don't know anout Windrock, it's a functioning mine with at least a hundred miles of roads/trails and 3000+ feet of elevation changes. Fun place, you can go for uber technical single track to wide open 5th gear mine roads in 5 mins, I was in heaven. We managed to find a trail that was satan incarnate, snot-like mud and downed trees. We had a helluva time going down the trail and had to turn around when a large oak(at least 36" diameter) blocked the path. Going up the trail was a lesson in clutch slipping and holding on to a bucking and roosting machine. I broke my decompression lever...lol....that was fun to work around. I noticed the slip when we found a wide open road(for those massive earth movers, easily 50 feet wide and smooth as could be) and began the hooligan game of "let's pin the throttle in top gear". I was chasing a KTM 525 and not doing bad, just that 4th and 5th would sometimes rev much faster than normal. No way I was going to look behind me at those speeds to see if I was just losing traction.

Anyway, I noticed that in 4th and 5th I would get some clutch slip, or what may be bent forks in the trans. I'm leaning towards slip in the clutch as I get no surge or indication of gear hopping. My bike does not live with me, I leave it at a friends garage that's about 40 minutes away, so I can't just pop over and piddle. I will check the clutch cable first off, it was dis/engaging quickly in the stroke, that might be the only issue(gawd I hope it is).

Now lets pretend the clutch is slipping. Can I order a "clutch pack" or something of that nature from Yamaha, depend on a dealer to send me home with the right parts or do I need to tear it down and have an eyeball on the situation? Anything less than 200 bucks is fairgame, above that I'll have to KNOW what I need to do some budgeting.

Some rough numbers on a:

1:Clutch rebuild

2:Transmission problem with 4th and 5th(please no, oh please!)

BTW, this bike is too much fun. Makes a barrel of monkeys seem like doing quadratic equations. Roll on 3rd gear wheelies had me giggling like an idiot.

had the samething happen to me after some nasty single track, could smell burning oil from the clutch i took the clutch apart and removed the glaze from the discs and plates with sand paper and it has worked well even after some really nasty single track.

had the samething happen to me after some nasty single track, could smell burning oil from the clutch i took the clutch apart and removed the glaze from the discs and plates with sand paper and it has worked well even after some really nasty single track.

VI,

I have set of '02 426 clutch plates and Hinson springs(4 rides) I am not going to use. All are in excellent shape but are very lightly used, being 100% honest to you. If you want them their yours, just P.M. me and I'll send them to you, no catches.

Bill

VI,

I have set of '02 426 clutch plates and Hinson springs(4 rides) I am not going to use. All are in excellent shape but are very lightly used, being 100% honest to you. If you want them their yours, just P.M. me and I'll send them to you, no catches.

Bill

Wow, thats damn cool of ya. I hope I don't need em, but if I do I'll for sure zap a pm your way.

thumper victim-

I have a clymer manual on the way, my dad taught me to always get my grubby mitts on a decent manual as one of the first steps in proper vehicle maintainence. He's gone now, but I think the 426 would make him smile. He loved the old Huskies, and had a rip-snorting Honda that I wasn't allowed on.