Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SJMC_DON

Steering Stem Bearings... Never again please!!!

5 posts in this topic

Well I've taken the last week and did alot of maintenance and work in order to get the ol' 04 ready for the 2006 race season, I really need to get one more year out of it :bonk:

After new springs, wheel bearings, brakes, valve adj., repack swing arm and linkage bearings, chain and sprockets, lube the cables, etc..., etc....., etc.... I decide that I will finish it all off by replacing the steering stem bearings, something I've never done before but hey, it can't be to hard right? WRONG :eek:

Getting the top clamp is easy enuf, gettting the the lower clamp and stem off is easy enough, the upper bearing comes off no problem, (wow this is going good :p ), the outer races in the steering neck of the frame are kind-of-a bitch but after a little sweet talk they pop out, whew..... OK it's approximately 7:30 PM Friday and all I gotta do is get the lower bearing off of the steering stem and then put it all together, things are going OK :thumbsup: .....

I did not get that mother :thumbsup: ing lower bearing race off of that stem until 4:00 PM Saturday :cool: I heated it up and pounded the livin' $hit out of it, (just like my manual showed me) over and over and over again, went through two chisels and many beers before I won, yes, I WON :worthy:

The new bearings went in well and tomorrow morning the whole nightmare will fade from my memory as I focus on nothing but whats out in front of my fender as I am riding but for now I must warn the rest of you about this bearing that the Devil himself must have installed.........

Anyone else been thru this? Anyone else have a better method? Inquiring minds want to know.................

Why didn't you cut it off? I could of had that sucker off in about 1 - 2 min with my 4" grinder and dremel.

I did mine before last year's riding season. I had my old bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on. Personally, I would not try to beat, heat or cut the old bearing off.

Next new bike I get, the first thing I'm going to do is tear it down and repack ALL of the bearings. I did my headset and 6 years later they are still good. I didn't do the rear linkage and luckily caught it before they siezed. Oh and install an O-ring chain...