Holy cow this thing rips!!

Took the beast out to some local dirt roads and I think this monster might actually outgun my old KX500, the KX500 was not near as responsive and once it came on the pipe it exploded into wheelspin, but this thing is like a missile, point and shoot, I have never experienced that sensation of acceleration in the dirt. I finished uncorking it this afternoon so the first ride was uncorked, two turn out on the pilot, stock pilot jet and a 168 main with the needle in the 3rd clip from the top (one clip richer) This bike is an animal.

I'm jealous, you bastid! :bonk:

The choice was a tough one for me between my L, and the R. I love my L, but I want both, dangit! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You live in Texas, one of the easier states to plate stuff right? Find a buddy and try an R. I think you will find a reaosn to own both. Don't ever get rid of your L though, they are fantastic bikes.

Glad to hear.

Did you swap out the intake manifold, remove the airbox restricters, swap to a UNI airfilter with hi flow backfire screen, drill out/put a new tip on the stock pipe? If not, then you still have more arm pulling power to uncover...

I drilled the stock tip, yanked both baffles and replaced the intake manifold, so this is pretty much it until I get the Edelbrock carb. It is still a bit cold natured to start, but to its defense it was 29 ish out when I went for a ride, when warmed up it starts first kick though. It is still one of the easiest kickstarting bikes I have ever played with.

Pretty fun huh? I'd look at the plug - you may still be a little lean with a 168 main jet. I don't know what elevation you're riding at but I'm riding a lot at 7000' and I find the 172 main is pretty good for my uncorked BRP. FWIW I run the 175 main at elevations below 3500'.

I am at 6200 feet, the other jet I grabbed is a 172, I may toss it in, according to the 650R jetting guide I should be with a 165..yikes.

I didn't look at the jetting guide (maybe I should have). My bike sputtered at 7000' at wide open throttle, when I placed a 172 in the sputtering stopped. It's still a bit rich (plug is dark) but I like it that way. Some rides I go on have substantial elevation changes, but I feel confident that it's not too lean when I get down to 4000'.

Just curious what jetting guides you are looking at. I'm at 6,500 and ride up to aroun 9,000 and right now uncorked I'm 160 on top with the stock pilot. This was as recommended by those who ride in this area.

The one on the 650R.us site, all I know is that at 6200 feet with a 168 it pulls like crazy, but Inever rode it uncorked.

Man, don't believe the jetting guide on xr650r.us. It's WAY wrong. I ride at 5,000 to over 10,000 ft. sometimes. I have it set up as follows:

HRC Intake

HRC Exhaust Baffle

HRC Needle jet set 4th spot from top

68s pilot jet (screw adjusted 2 and 1/4 turns out).

170 main jet

K&N air filter.

I've tried a LOT of combonations, and this provides the most power throught the entire powerband. At around 9,000 ft. I have to turn the pilot adjustment in 1/4 of a turn, but I have tons of power, even above tree-line.

Thanks for the tip, I thinks ince it runs pretty well now I willleave it alone until I get the quiksilver carb.

I have a hard time believing 170 or anwhere close to that is good at 7,000+. Isn't that the main guys use at sea level uncorked? Again, I never tried anything different up here because I based mine off settings from other 650R high alt pilots up here in CO

I have found at least with 4 stroke streetbikes that they are not all that sensitive to the main jet being used, I am guessing anything better than the 125 will be great. I am pretty sure the stock pilot is kosher, rolling in 1st and whacking the throttle open produces immediate power with absolutely zero hesitation, it is very very crisp off idle with no popping on decel, just that smooth compression braking engine note. The dealer suggested anywhere from a 168 to a 172 for mine but I am a bit skeptical running a 172 at this elevation. You said you have a 160 and it pulls hard on top?

Man, don't believe the jetting guide on xr650r.us. It's WAY wrong. I ride at 5,000 to over 10,000 ft. sometimes. I have it set up as follows:

HRC Intake

HRC Exhaust Baffle

HRC Needle jet set 4th spot from top

68s pilot jet (screw adjusted 2 and 1/4 turns out).

170 main jet

K&N air filter.

I've tried a LOT of combonations, and this provides the most power throught the entire powerband. At around 9,000 ft. I have to turn the pilot adjustment in 1/4 of a turn, but I have tons of power, even above tree-line.

If you read that jetting chart it also says to use a richer main if using the HRC baffle as oposed to a drilled one like mine, so your 170 is exactly that.

Higher elevation = thinner air= leaner gas to keep ratio in line.

As far as I can tell, it pulls hard with the 160 on top. I just don't have anything to compare it to however. There was a 650R site on yahoo groups that I went to for guidance and apparently a guy in Denver made the most power with the 158 on the dyno.

Before my bike was uncorked, I only rode around 100 miles in the stock configuration was way rich at this elevation but still ran ok.

One problem I do have is that if I go full throttle and quickly let off the gas it will stumble a little. Makes me think I might be lean on the needle. My needle is stock in the stock position which again was recommended for my alt (~7000) being uncorked.

Then I guess I don't need to worry about being to lean with a 168. What did you do in the way of a brake light?

Took the beast out to some local dirt roads and I think this monster might actually outgun my old KX500, the KX500 was not near as responsive and once it came on the pipe it exploded into wheelspin, but this thing is like a missile, point and shoot, I have never experienced that sensation of acceleration in the dirt. .

Wait till you install the Edelbrock and drill holes in your airbox sidecover.

And when that gets boring, wait till you install the 680 jug.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Big Red Pig.

Once you go "BRRRRRAP", you'll never go back.

If you read that jetting chart it also says to use a richer main if using the HRC baffle as oposed to a drilled one like mine, so your 170 is exactly that.

Yes, but according to that guide, I should be changing jets every 1500 ftt (or so) and with every 10 degree change in temp. I'm just saying to everyone here, the bike is not that picky. I've had my carb apart 20 times trying different combonations, (I wanted to find the best). Even at 12,000 ft., the highest I've had my bike, it runs great with the 68s, 170 combonation.