HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr-jorger

front fork air pressure????

6 posts in this topic

is the air valve on top of the front forks on a 98 xr600 just to bleed off pressure, or should it be filled to a certain pressure? also the front end tends to botttom out on a long section of whoops, its set up fo 220lbs, is this a sign of bad forks, low air(if required), or need of new oil.....or should i just loose weight (since Im at that 220lbs limit :thumbsup: ) thanks all

They are to bleed off pressure. Put your bike on a stand so the front tire is off the ground first. :thumbsup: If you are bottoming prematurely investigate the oil level and/or viscosity (since you mentioned the bike is set up (sprung) for your weight).

According to the owner's manual, they can have up to 15psi of pressure in them. They adjustment procedure in there.

As far as I know, with the front wheel off the floor and the forks at full extension, the standard air pressure is 0psi. You can pump a bit more in to stiffen them up, but don't over pressure them...I would agree on 6 or 7 psi, 10 at absolute max if you want to the front forks to feel like they're seized. Don't forget that the stiffer the forks, the more bashing the rims/spokes and bearings have to take...don't blow your seals either!