Questions on 05 yz450 pls help

Hola, first post in thumpertalk.

I just bought my first Dirt bike, a brand new 05 yz450f. I was hoping I could get a few questions cleared up..

1. When letting off the throttle the rear exhaust tends to make a popping sound. Bike makes no popping or back fires when I am on the throttle. From what i have read on the site you all say its either exhaust leak or Lean setting..

I have removed the rear exhaust slip on once.. but the bike popped even before I removed it.

Most ppl say to turn the air screw 1/4 to 1/2.. What direction? ( clock or counter clockwise ) And Where is the air screw loacted on my carb. I will look in my book once more to see if I can find it.

Is the popping bad for the motor or just annoying to the rider. ?

2. Also looking to pick up some Pro Taper bars tommorow. the stock bars are annoyingly to low and wide.. Will the new bars fit in the stock clamp, And How much of a pain is it to remove all the leaver parts and such and reinstall to the new bar.. Will i need to replace my grips?

3. Bike settings.. I dont know rebound settings from race sag..

I was hoping someone could clue me in on a set up for a person 190lbs looking to do mostly aggrestive trail riding with some lil jumps involved. I will have the dealer setup the bike when i take it in for the break in check up.

I just bought my first Dirt bike, a brand new 05 yz450f. I was hoping I could get a few questions cleared up..

1. When letting off the throttle the rear exhaust tends to make a popping sound. Bike makes no popping or back fires when I am on the throttle. From what i have read on the site you all say its either exhaust leak or Lean setting..

I have removed the rear exhaust slip on once.. but the bike popped even before I removed it.

Most ppl say to turn the air screw 1/4 to 1/2.. What direction? ( clock or counter clockwise ) And Where is the air screw loacted on my carb. I will look in my book once more to see if I can find it.

Is the popping bad for the motor or just annoying to the rider. ?

2. Also looking to pick up some Pro Taper bars tommorow. the stock bars are annoyingly to low and wide.. Will the new bars fit in the stock clamp, And How much of a pain is it to remove all the leaver parts and such and reinstall to the new bar.. Will i need to replace my grips?

I was hoping someone could clue me in on a set up for a person 190lbs looking to do mostly aggrestive trail riding with some lil jumps involved. I will have the dealer setup the bike when i take it in for the break in check up.

the air/fuel screw goes up into the carb from underneath center/frnt,if your lean on the pilot,turn the screw out(counter clockwise) just remember your upside down! 7/8" bars will fit the stock clamps,and your stock suspension should be perfect for your wt and trail riding. set it up how the manual says and then try different scenarios with the clickers,writing it down each change and observing what works.

Is the popping bad for the motor or just annoying to the rider. :bonk:

I wish I were there to help out, 'cause it's a lot easier to show you these things than to explain them. First off, your manual will answer any mechanical questions you have, they're very good.

As for the air screw, these bikes don't have one. It's a fuel screw, located underneath the carb just on the forward end (toward the motor). My recommendation is to replace your stock fuel screw with a Zip-tye fuel screw so you can turn it with your fingers and not need to get a tool. The popping on decel is common, and to a certain degree IS normal, but excessive popping can be cleaned up by enrichening the bottom end (done by turning the fuel screw OUT, counter clockwise as if you were looking UP from the ground to the carb). These machines are sensitive to temp changes and will require fine tuning of the fuel screw as the weather shifts. Make sure you don't have any leaks, though, 'cause like you have read exhaust leaks will cause the lean popping symptoms and your fuel screw will not change it.

As for the Pro Tapers, I've never used them but I believe they are under the "fat bar" category and will therefore require new risers to fit them. Changing the levers and such over is a cinch, and I recommend the ProGrip gel grips as a replacement. I have never salvaged grips after pulling them off......$10 is better spent on comfortable grips.

Do a search on setting up Race Sag.....it's a simple process to set up and very important to have done right so that the bike responds correctly when riding it. I used 100mm sag and didn't have to touch the clickers until I started pushing the bike a little bit, but you may find a different result.

Congrats on the purchase!! It was the best money I've ever spent, that's for sure. Keep your oil fresh and air filter clean, keep an eye on the stock chain (it'll tend to stretch quickly), and for god sakes get rid of the stock 739 tires...you'll thank yourself!! My brother lives out there in Tucson and loves the Maxxis IT desert for the rear tire and the Dunlop 742 up front.

Hope this helps!!!

?

Thanks for the responses.. I purchased a Zip T fuel screw thingy. I will give that a shot to see if it cleans up the Decel popping.. I just got back from a ride today and I am getting more comfrontable on the bike but standing up is still ify.

I am going to www.motoventures.com in two weeks for a 2 day Safety/Bike skills training session. So hopefully after that I will be able ride with some confidence.

I doubt I will swap the tires anytime soon.. I doubt i could tell much of a difference. 4 rides now and there is still lil tits on the front tire..

thanks again for the info.

You WOULD notice a difference. Give yourself a fighting chance, get a front tire that actually works in the soft stuff you have out there in AZ......take my word for it, or ask around and take everyone else's word for it. It's worth it!!!

Concerning setting up the rear sag:

First read:

http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm

Then:

http://www.tootechracing.com/Static%20Sag%20Suspension%20Tip.htm

After which you may want to continue to:

http://www.mx-tech.com/tuning.asp

REMEMBER that on your '05, the COMPRESSION clicker is on TOP of the fork, and the rebound is on the bottom. ?

Mucho Thanks.. Suspension setup is something I was worried about, and the dealers solution was to take it into a place and pay them 1k to do the whole bike to my specs.. Now Im sure the bike whould be perfect, but damn 1k with what i just paided is hard to justify this soon.

I understand your battle all too well. I am running stock suspension set up with just race sag and clicker adjustments done, and quite frankly, this thing is better than ANYthing I've ever had, so I find it very difficult to spend a lot of money on what I don't consider broken.....however, I'm sure that the customized suspension would be an incredible improvement. It's all what you are used to, I suppose. Someday, maybe sooner than later, I'd like to experience the perfect suspension set up.

?

suspension upgrade on a new bike? If you are not real light or heavy why spend the money I am slow and never have done anything but mess with the clickers. Most pro riders in my area never have the suspension up graded. learn to ride and work on the bike and the after you have learned to max out the bike as it is then upgrade. That's if you ever get that far.

If the suspension is not set up correctly then learning how to ride could be more difficult more than it needs to be. With the shox leaking the suspension will need to be looked at sooner than normal.

Thanks for the input, all opions are greatly appreacated.

Unless you are very heavy or very light, as a beginner you really don't have to spend any money on the suspension for quite some time. Just set the race sag/static sag, and then play with the clickers (Once you get comfortable with the bike)

Later in time as you get better and want to race; than you can spend the big bucks for suspension tuning/revalve. Or if you're not going to race, but have a big wallet.

Unless you are very heavy or very light, as a beginner you really don't have to spend any money on the suspension for quite some time. Just set the race sag/static sag, and then play with the clickers (Once you get comfortable with the bike)

Later in time as you get better and want to race; than you can spend the big bucks for suspension tuning/revalve. Or if you're not going to race, but have a big wallet.

I completely agree with Flint, your obviously a begginner, focus on setting your bike up correctly in stock form and learn to ride. You will not be able to acceed the bikes potential for some time and should focus on your ability. Its the Indian not the arrows, no matter how good the arrows are. Enjoy that sweet machine, the suspension is really good stock, spend that money on oil changes, gas, air filters, tires, and ride the crap out of it. Dont get caught up in suspension and motor mods yet. Those will come in time.